What blade is on your bandsaw ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
Its different blades for different jobs, I know, but what blade sits on your bandsaw most of the time ?

Having just cut a few meters or so of cement board ( bathroom tanking ) I have trashed my 4 tpi blade, just as I knew I would. I now have lots of old contiboard and 18mm plywood to cut up to make some workshop drawer carcases and am thinking of using the 4 and/or 6 tpi premium blades from tuffsaw.
Most of the time I seem to be cutting this sort of stuff, or softwood only an inch or so thick so one or other of these blades would probably be left on as the 'go to' blade.
Does anyone think differently ?

Lennox trimaster variable pitch (1.5/2.3 TPI), 1 1/4". I mostly use the bandsaw for ripping and re-sawing hardwood, and find that this blade cuts quickly and easily even for veneers at 10" thick plus, but gives a surprisingly good finish even on very thin stock or ply. It has TCT teeth so lasts for ages and can be resharpened.

25mm 3 tpi Tuffsaw Super Tuff Premium. Like pretty much everyone else on the forum I'm very pleased with this blade, but if I can save up my pocket money I may experiment with a Tuffsaw M42 in the future!

Here's the thing, I never, ever use this rip blade for cutting anything other than in a dead straight line against a fence. The moment I have even the gentlest of curves or a freehand cut I change the blade for a smaller curve cutting alternative. The net result is that I don't have any drift problems and can set the fence true to the mitre gauge slot. I'm convinced that a lot of bandsaw drift problems are simply due to the set of the blade being altered by forcing it into an over tight curve, and over tight curve in my experience is anything less than two or three times the minimum radius quoted by the manufacturer.

Oh, and I also use a meat & fish blade for cutting dovetails.

5/8" Tuffsaws Fastcut ready to go on my bigger saw once I've finished cleaning it up, for resawing and other straight cuts; 1/4" 6TPI SuperTuff Premium currently on the smaller one (which I'm wondering if I can get away with keeping anyway), for general-purpose/curve-cutting work. Like more or less everyone else, I've been nothing but happy with Tuffsaws blades.

Back