What bits is my Elektra Beckum HC260 missing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mininozzle

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new tothe forum this evening, I've signed up as I note there are other users on here who have sourced used Elektra Beckum (/Metabo) HC260 Planer Thicknessers..

I recently bought one locally and now I've got it home and started to check it over I have identified some bits are missing. I've downlaoded the Elektra Beckum and Metabo versions of the manual to help identify what is what.. (The drawings are handy but not certain in every detail).

With reference to woodworkersinstitute/furniture-cabinetmaking/kit-tools/machinery/planers-thicknessers/elektra-beckum-hc260c/ (the 4th thumbnail drawing) I realise my Planer Thicknesser is missing the entire dust chute component and the flip-over thing. I think this is supposed to mount on the side with the removable bed.

But this is what I have:
20190105_200453.jpg

Where on earth does the extraction hood/chip chute mount?

Also, I need to get new blades for it... I was expecting to buy a set of double-sided disposable ones, but I think it is fitted with resharpenable (they're 3mm thick with a slot on either end).
20190105_194221.jpg

I don't really have the means nor skills to re-sharpen the blades hence hoping it needed disposable set. However, I think there is a converstion kit available - but before I purchase I'm hoping for verification that I have correctly identified what I already have.

Many thanks for the advice... in anticipation!

Mininozzle

Attachments

• 20190105_200453.jpg
    20190105_200453.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 452
  • 20190105_194221.jpg
    20190105_194221.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 452
Update....

I note a set of lugs in the casting here - what sits in the small semi-circular ledge?
20190105_200350.jpg

This is underneath the surface table on the output side

Mininozzle

Attachments

• 20190105_200350.jpg
    20190105_200350.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 448
In terms of the dust extraction: -
In planer mode, the dust extractor hood sits underneath the in-feed table and on top of the thicknesser table (you use the up/down adjusted to wedge it in position). The chip shute folds down underneath the out-field table.
In thicknesser mode, the chip shute folds up over the cutter block assembly and the dust extractor fits on top of it. The whole thing is held down by the adjustable blade guard.
Not sure what the lugs are for without looking at mine but if it helps I can take a picture of my machine in both planer and thicknesser mode if that helps?
In terms of blades, I have been using double sided disposable ones (can’t remember where from but they were about £14?) which I simply dropped into the cutter block.

I would really appreciate seeing your photos thank you.
I think our cutter blocks might be the same but the wedge shaped clamp arrangements might be different. (disposable blades are evidently ~1mm thick, HSS resharpenable ~3mm thick). I had a tip-off that the local lawn-mower guy might be able to re-sharpen my HSS blades, which would be handy, saves spending more £££ on the conversion kit

MiniNozzle

No problem. I’m out with the Grandkids (teacher training day) this morning so I’ll send some details later. I can measure the blade thickness as I’ve just changed mine but the wedges are pretty adjustable as I’ve just bought some jigs from Advanced Machinery Sales to which you fit adjustable blades and the whole assembly still fits in. I’ll send all the links as well.

Having survived 2 hours of soft play (aka assault course) and an in-house McDonalds for lunch, normality is restored.

As promised: -
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0081.jpg
IMG_0082.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

Hopefully that will answer your questions.
In terms of the blades, I've only ever used the disposable ones which are 1mm thick and I'd be pretty sure that there is enough adjustment on the block inserts for you to use these.
I still have some older ones that just might just have some use on one edge so if you want to PM me your address I'll post them on. At least you can try them for fit if you don't think you can get any use out of them.
I bought mine from Planer blades.
Not sure where you might get spares from but I did get a new outfeed roller from Spares
I did mention that I bought a couple of blade jigs to make blade changing easier ESTA system. As you can see from the schematic, the jigs fit into the cutter block as well as the blades so for me, I can use the jig + blade or simplky the blade as there is sufficient adjustment. Note with this supplier, the blades are priced as each and not as a pair.
All the best.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 400
Glynne
Would you care to do a mini review of the ESTA system please.
Given that the blade holder locates on the turned finish of the cutter block I don't follow how the blades are tuned to each other.
How do you rate the system in terms of accuracy and time saving.
Thanks.

galleywood":h8bz2cxk said:
Glynne
Would you care to do a mini review of the ESTA system please.
Given that the blade holder locates on the turned finish of the cutter block I don't follow how the blades are tuned to each other.
How do you rate the system in terms of accuracy and time saving.
Thanks.
I only just fitted the holders before Christmas so apart from setting them up, I haven’t really used my P/T.
As you say, the holders locate on the surface of the block and so depend on the block to be accurately turned and centred on the drive shaft. The blades fit very precisely on the jigs so assuming the block is accurate as above, then the blades should be tuned to each other.
In terms of accuracy they seem very good (on a very small test sample) and changing blades really is as simple as undoing the securing bolts, removing the jig and clipping the new blades on and then setting the assembly on the locating lugs and tightening.
I’m not sure about how much time it saves as I’ve never really had that much of a problem in changing blades, it’s just one of those tasks that for some reason you dread after hearing horror stories. My brother-in-law reckons he spent the best part of a day in setting up his Record P/T!
The jigs aren’t cheap, the price quoted is per jig and not per set and it was only when they rang me to say didn’t I mean to order 2 and not 1, that I said yes without realising the cost.
But at least now I will change blades when I need to rather than preserving with blunt ones.

Glynne,
Thanks so much for going out of your way to take the photos and sharing them with me. The penny has dropped... the chip chute AND dust hood are both fitted, but in separate locations, when using the machine in planer mode! i.e one beside the infeed and the other beside the outfeed.

I think the lugs I show in the photo are meant for the recoil lock bar, as the left and right cast housings are universal therefore there is a space if the casting for the recoil lock bar mount, but obviously it's only put to use on the outfeed table side.

I appreciate the offer to send me your part worn disposable blades for the purposes of comparison. My concern with fitting blades that are thinner, but using the same block is there might then be insufficient thread engagement on the 4 locking screws/bolts as they have to be effectively 2mm+ further extended.

My aim for now is to go visit the lawnmower repair guy tomorrow and find out if he has the means to sharpen my current blades.

The rating plate has my machine born 1985. Ooooooooosh.

Mininozzle

mininozzle

Have you found a source for the missing hoods?
I have the same green model as you do - !1993 year of manufacture.
You are welcome to look at it to see if there are any other missing items if a trip to Chelmsford is not too far for you.
The machine is not running at the moment but I do have all the parts.

Mini nozzle,
If you’re taking your existing blades out, just see how much travel you have on the adjusting bolts. If you think you’ll have enough for thinner disposable blades give me a shout and I’ll send mine as a test (it’ll only be pence in the post). At least with disposable blades, once you’ve used both sides you can just switch them out for a new set rather than having to wait for you existing ones to be resharpened.

Existing re-sharpenable blades are now with the local precision engineering shop being sharpened. I hope to get them back in a few days time. With enough luck and a following wind there will be enough meat on them to allow set up with the "travelling rule" method. 6mm isn't it??

mininozzle

s-l1600.jpg

These are the type I have, with the slots in the back. They're £39 on the bay, and I assume they need a little more work to make them usable? Afterall - if someone is knowingly spending more cash on a pair of resharpenable blades, they must have the means to sharpen them (right???). I hope the machine shop isn't going to charge 40 notes to have my current set ready to go

mininnozzle

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 277
There's a delay with the supplier so none of the bits will be posted until end of the month :-(

Should there be this much slack on the belt drive (output side of the planer block). Seems quite a lot, particularly as there's quite a lot of "polishing" going on, which suggests the belt is slipping. I just can't see any adjustment on the thing though, and there's no tensioner.
20190105_200641.jpg

20190105_200623.jpg

Attachments

• 20190105_200641.jpg
    20190105_200641.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 20190105_200623.jpg
    20190105_200623.jpg
    896.4 KB · Views: 268
It's all up and running, yah!!
I picked up a dust extractor at a good price (then proceeded to break it and was forced into repairing hte fan rather than replacing it)

It seems to do reasonably clean cuts and I'm making good progress turning a stock of sawn timber into square and planed timber. Warped and twisted items, with a bit of pursuation, are coming out flat (enough) and true.

The newly sharpened blades, ones ground down enough to remove the chips, a really at the maximum adjustment.

I've had to pack a thin piece of aluminium under each bearing carrier of the cutter block to bring it fully up to the height of the outfeed table

In fact, I had to take it almost entirely to pieces in order to slide on a new aluminium extrusion that holds the dust chute - blown through with compressed air, de-greased, lightly lubed, adjusted the table for flatness.

Lovely!

Thanks all for your various pieces of advice and offers to send bits

Nozzle

Back