What are these?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely leather hole punches and the blade is a leather skiving / trimming knife which looks like the handle has been shaped as an edge burnisher.

Hey all,
my friend is sorting out her departed dad's tools and has got down to the box of "I don't knows", does anyone have any insight into what these are?

received_174737954426598

received_854344038752543

These are sharp on the circular tip and also sharp inside apparently, I guess where that bevel changes angle? My only thought was some kind of dowel making tool?

How about this one? I really can't even add anything to help describe it, i've no clue, it could well be a homemade tool for something very specific? Although the price tag indicates that someone saw enough use in it to purchase it...

received_494713231521071
I’m so excited. I’m a complete newbie and I know what the second picture is.

It’s a skew chisel for a lathe, which has been sharpened to a stub and is therefore completely unsellable.

I’m so excited. I’m a complete newbie and I know what the second picture is.

It’s a skew chisel for a lathe, which has been sharpened to a stub and is therefore completely unsellable.

Nope, it's a glass cutter, in fact here is a nearly identical one.

1613204662737.png

Steel hole punches, defiantly steel, look at the tempering colours and traces of rust, the other is a diamond glass cutter thus no axel for a wheel. Have one somewhere in "Dad's & Grandad's tool box" diamond is AWOL tools are never used but they were Grandpa's then Dad's -- treasured memories !

The second tool is a glass cutter, as Rorschach says. The bevelled end would have a diamond mounted in it. I've still got one that belonged to my father.

I'm sure there was a thread about a year ago that had some of these glass cutter designs being discussed and either AndyT or Toolsntat had provided adverts for how superior they were to the norm.

I'm sure there was a thread about a year ago that had some of these glass cutter designs being discussed and either AndyT or Toolsntat had provided adverts for how superior they were to the norm.
I've got a fair few but twernt me, so likely Andy, king of the catalogue search.
Here's 4 (2 wheel & 2 diamond) for your viewing pleasure....
Cheers Andy
IMG_20200414_182025_367.JPG

Just been re-framing several pictures and using an old diamond tip glass cutter like this - very pleased with my ~90% success rate - it's all old glass and I was told by a glazier - 'don't even bother trying to cut old glass'.

-- clean the glass, drop of oil, one firm cut (on flat hardboard surface) from end to end. few taps with the knob on the back of the line, move the line to the edge of the table and --- gently -- off it comes -- very satisfying for an amateur

but my picture frame mitre joints still need a skills uplift (re-sizing my favourite old junk-shop Edwardian dark oak frames) - however I was looking in the museum last summer and the mitres have often 'gapped' - changing moisture over the years I suppose, so I tell myself it looks right for these old engravings etc.

Back