What are these?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
my friend is sorting out her departed dad's tools and has got down to the box of "I don't knows", does anyone have any insight into what these are?

received_174737954426598

received_854344038752543

These are sharp on the circular tip and also sharp inside apparently, I guess where that bevel changes angle? My only thought was some kind of dowel making tool?

How about this one? I really can't even add anything to help describe it, i've no clue, it could well be a homemade tool for something very specific? Although the price tag indicates that someone saw enough use in it to purchase it...

received_494713231521071

hole punches as already said. not normally made in brass so must be for something pretty soft.
would like to see more pics of the head on the second tool.

hole punches as already said. not normally made in brass so must be for something pretty soft.
would like to see more pics of the head on the second tool.
not sure the punches are brass, they could just appear a warm tone in the photo

I agree on the second tool, more angles to see, and perhaps something for scale

They are wad punches but its unusual they are brass. Brass tools usually means they were to be used in an environment where you do not want sparks.
The other tool is a bit like a glass cutter but cant say for sure.
Regards
John

If the second item is a glass cutter I'd expect to see a ball on the end of the handle and a cutting wheel, or at least it's axle pin, on the 'long corner'

Glass cutter and circle punches, the punches are just generic cheap ones, you can sharpen them on the lathe and they are quite effective on soft metals or leather, paper etc.

If they are brass then theres a reason, also yes leather punches but also could be for gaskets. As they are brass then they could have been for use in a explosive atmosphere such as coal mines, flour mills or the like. Do you know what her dad did for a living or where he has worked as that might give a better clue.

My Dad had a set of punches just like those, used for sale making and repairs, to punch holes in the canvas when fitting eyelets, made in brass as they don't rust in damp salty conditions.

Yup to your responses, but if photo white balance is a bit off could easily be steel/ The glass cutter is prob a diamond tip - no wheel then needed

looking at the pitting I reckon white balance being off is bob on and I gave you a bum steer, they are still hole punches. I've got a few and I've made a fair few too, sharpening on a lathe is just showing off, I normally chuck it in a drill and spin it against a grinding wheel. :)

looking at the pitting I reckon white balance being off is bob on and I gave you a bum steer, they are still hole punches. I've got a few and I've made a fair few too, sharpening on a lathe is just showing off, I normally chuck it in a drill and spin it against a grinding wheel. :)

Fine for the small ones, not for the big ones, I think my largest is 25mm, I don't have a drill that big! lol.

Tool post grinder in the lathe does a lovely job, better than factory usually.

Fine for the small ones, not for the big ones, I think my largest is 25mm, I don't have a drill that big! lol.

But of course you do, you just insist on calling it a lathe. :)

yes, I can see it would do a rather splendid job of it and agree it maybe somewhat of a struggle to chuck up a 25mm one.

They could be from artillery shell manufacture and there need to be brass or gunmetal to prevent sparks. Leather washers were used to seat the fuses during WW1

They could be from artillery shell manufacture and there need to be brass or gunmetal to prevent sparks. Leather washers were used to seat the fuses during WW1

weren't the washers usually premade and they used a wooden dowel for seating though?
I have a very very vague recollection of being told something like this on a presentation about Risley munitions factory

yep, thats the face I'm pulling too.

the little old dear who lived next me when I bought my first house (I'm still a child, honest) worked at the ordinance and munitions factory before moving to the Vulcun steam works as a crane driver, she told some great stories. (note, she was also only about 4' and there is not a cat in hells chance that I'd have messed her about, she'd have skinned me alive)

There just steel with a bit of patina and a slightly yellow shade in the picture, certainly not brass. They are identical to my Silverline set.

Back