What are these planes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
While on holiday in France these two planes took my fancy. I'm curious as to what their provenance might be?

compass-plane.jpg

rabbet-1.jpg

rabbet-2.jpg

Roger

Provenance? No idea. But the first one's a compass plane and the second's a router plane or old woman's tooth.

Cheers, Alf

Roger Sinden":3689y2u2 said:
Ah..and there I was hoping you'd say...'cor...they're worth millions' :wink:

Roger

Of course they are - these are undoubtedly Roubo's own tools!

(ROUBO André-Jacob (1739- 1791). Ebéniste, d'une famille de menuisiers, auteur d'un ouvrage fameux, publié de 1769 à 1775 : L'art du menuisier)

Roger Sinden":2gc6ewpj said:
Ah..and there I was hoping you'd say...'cor...they're worth millions' :wink:
Don't be daft. If that was true I'd have said they were junk and I'd take 'em off your hands for a modest handling fee. :wink: :lol: Any stamps on the body or marks on the irons? Just out of curiosity.

Cheers, Alf

The plane with a compassed sole is almost identical to one I picked up in a junk shop some years ago. But mine is also compassed across the sole.
I think it's what John Brown called a 'round-both-ways' plane.
Home-made by somebody, but a lovely little tool.

I use it all the time in conjunction with a home-made travisher for bottoming chair seats.

Argus":1kk3z377 said:
The plane with a compassed sole is almost identical to one I picked up in a junk shop some years ago. But mine is also compassed across the sole.
I think it's what John Brown called a 'round-both-ways' plane.
Also called a "Cooper's Stoup plane" according to Salaman. But you probably didn't particularly want to know that. Sorry, can't help myself. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Also called a "Cooper's Stoup plane" according to Salaman. But you probably didn't particularly want to know that.
Cheers, Alf[/quote]

Every little helps. Beats the usual 'coachmaker's-gadget' hypotheses.

Still, a useful little tool. At least two users' stamps before mine.

Back