What are these handles called?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantx

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to make a moxon vise. Can someone please tell me what these handles are called and possibly where to get something similar?
Thanks. Screenshot_20220113_190217.jpg

It seems to me as if the one that shipped from the US for £78 is just some bits that you can pick up very easily plus the two ball ended wing nuts, there are firms out there that do things if you are prepared to just cobble things together a bit yourself, my jigs often incorporate a very rounded square of ply trapped in a coach bolts and locking nut but if you want to go posh how about these. The gear knob type are about £1.35 and the spinning one with the handle just over a tenner. Ian
B270BB28-A6BE-4622-AC95-96F250B3FBC3.png
ABF2FC6D-3B6D-432D-AF72-B33A94FBD87A.png

Sorry didn’t say, I was thinking you could have some plastic or wood Cranks bolted onto the end of the threaded bar and then a couple of inches away from that on the other end bolt on the gear knob type which could work quite nicely.

Last edited:
78 quid for what is just regular hardware is a bit like being mugged. The word Moxon is almost a licence to rob. I was about to buy a kit with hand wheels and acme thread but never liked the way the rod sticks out the front. Few bruises waiting to happen. Anyhow I found an easy and no cost option using 2 quick clamps. I posted this last year.
IMG_1675.JPG
I made it as a prototype but having used it a bit now see no reason to make another. It also clamps tapered shapes.
IMG_1678.JPG
There are plenty videos of moxon builds out there for ideas too. Best thing about a moxon is working in an upright posture. Your back will thank you.
Regards
John

This post is by way of introduction, and hopefully of help as well.
Having recently retired (Management is still working) I have dropped into the agreeable habit of browsing forums, watching YouTube and surfing the web with a coffee whilst the workshop warms up sufficiently to venture out. I have recently made a Moxon vice and struggled to find suitable hardware at a reasonable cost. In finally ended up turning some handles to fit some 7/8 inch threaded bar that I had knocking about and so save for a few bits of mild steel the cost was minimal and I am reasonably pleased with the result.
IMG_4252.jpeg
That said, in one of my surfing sessions I came across WDS Components who sell all sorts of useful looking things including ball handles and Moxon vice kits at what would appear reasonable prices, link below. Ball Handles
Anyway, will have warmed up sufficiently now so i'm off to make some sawdust.
John

I can see a great attraction in having the 'proper thing' if it is to be used a lot, but for a general diy er like me who does some turning, a bit of plumbing, some box making, a bit of bookshelf making, a bit of car fixing, bit of sculpture .... well, you can't justify the cost of proper things for everything. There is also satisfaction in making "something from nothing".

I saw John's post when it first appeared and its on my to do list. The one from JEC is a nice job too. I have some birch left from the frame of a very old small IKEA sofa, cushion bits went to tip, frame got sawn into manageable bits. Some has been used, plenty left for free jaws :)

It also occurred to me that you could buy a cheap workmate-alike, typically £20 or so from the usual places, use the threaded parts, nuts and the handles and be left with a spare trestle.

And it's only just occurred to me that the next time a pair of shoes wears out they might not go in the bin - leather vice pads beckon if I can get usefully large slices - probabaly only for the small vice, but maybe if my wife parts with some old tall style leather boots when the soles are beyond repair I could repurpose those.

And it's only just occurred to me that the next time a pair of shoes wears out they might not go in the bin - leather vice pads beckon if I can get usefully large slices - probabaly only for the small vice, but maybe if my wife parts with some old tall style leather boots when the soles are beyond repair I could repurpose those
And handbags ---------- or is that sacrilege? 😂

Some great suggestions. Thank you. I'm going to go with the pipe clamps I already have. Here is a screenshot from a YouTube video
Screenshot_20220115_095757.jpg

I went to a plumbing store yesterday asking for 3/4 galvanised pipe for the clamps but from the shock and horror reaction I received I got the impression that metal pipes in plumbing is a taboo subject.

Latest posts

Back