What are these called?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What are the little copper or brass things sometimes crimped on the end of standed cables?

I've searched online but can only find bootlace ferrules, so they must be called something else.

Picture below of what I'm after.

Cheers,
Mark

20210101_191340.jpg

They are just wire ferrules and I suspect you may have a hard time buying them in small quantities. They are generally installed by manufacturers, factory side.

They are called bootlace crimps/ferrules.

I just use solder myself as you need a special crimping tool to do them properly.

I learned recently that tinning the wire with solder can lead to loose connections - it ‘cold flows’ over time in the clamped screw terminal due to the pressure. Good job I’m always too lazy to do it

I've been tasked with fitting some fancy ceiling lights, but as they have 3-way switching it's going to be a tight fit inside the rose.

If a ferrule was crimped onto the end of the stranded wires it would make the job easier.

I've also read solder shouldn't be used as it can become loose. Or can it?

There are 2 types of ferrules too, insulated, as per the link of mikes, and uninsulated which is just the small tube with no colour insulation /shield as per your link

I have a crimping tool and selection of connectors. They are great.
For connecting wires in limited spaces overhead for domestic wiring though I'd go with these. Easy as pie to fit and forget especially in situations where you have bricklayer installed electrics as I do in my house.

I learned recently that tinning the wire with solder can lead to loose connections - it ‘cold flows’ over time in the clamped screw terminal due to the pressure. Good job I’m always too lazy to do it
This ^, soldering / tinning wires that are secured via screw terminals is not a good method.

Correct, soldering wiring under screwed connections can be subject to cold flow.
Additionally it can cause breakage due to embrittlement, and this can be at the connection, just outside or further along te wire due to wicking, which can easily ocurr without realising.
It is also not considered acceptable under BS7671 (526.9.2) for screw terminations.

I've been tasked with fitting some fancy ceiling lights, but as they have 3-way switching it's going to be a tight fit inside the rose.

If a ferrule was crimped onto the end of the stranded wires it would make the job easier.

I've also read solder shouldn't be used as it can become loose. Or can it?
Just remember that no basic insulation (as in the red/black or brown/blue) is allowed to be visible at any termination.
Some fancy lights are not designed such that they can have the required wiring correctly terminated, so novel solutions are required.
Remember also that for safety you need to verify that the Zs at each point is low enough to ensue that you have ADS on the finished circuit.
Whilst if in England this may not be notifiable under Part P, it still applies, thus compliance with BS7671 is sill required, and this work is a modification and would thus attract the requirement for a MWC to be completed.

I use bootlace ferrules all the time. If you ever need to change components they save a lot of hassle - wire that has been under a screw will be so distorted that getting it back in a connector is all but impossible. Mostly I use the insulated variety, but on the rare occasions there is insufficient room, it is easy enough to break off the insulation and just use the metal ferrule. To do this I find the easiest way is to cut across the plastic near the metal part and then use the tip of the cutters to break the remainder along the axis. The same crimp tool can then be used for both types.

Is it possible to do the wiring in a separate junction box? these ferrules are great, but effectively increase the diameter of the wire and have such a short exposed part, it makes it very difficult to get more than one, or two in a screw terminal.

Back