What are these called and where can I buy them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkDennehy

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I bought cheap chucks. Specifically, I bought ex-demo stock from rutlands, so I don't think I could have bought cheaper except as scrap :D
They work well enough - they're the 3" Xact chuck, or the Precision 75 as it's now called - but occasionally they jam when tightening/loosening the jaws. Disassembly reveals that the most likely problem is that the pinion gear that the chuck key turns are held in the body of the chuck with what looks like the love child of a grub screw and a dowel pin:

2020-04-12-18.07.57a.jpg

I'm not sure what this kind of retaining pin is called and I can't find it depite trawling through McMaster-Carr, which is troubling. I need to get a few new ones - as you can see, these are mangled.

Does anyone know what they're normally called so I know the magic search words, or if anyone knows who's selling them that'd be even more useful...

Help? Please?

It's an option flh, but the idea of a loose bit rattling around in the chuck gives me the heebee-jeebees.
I think KingAether's link might actually be the part though!

It's an option flh, but the idea of a loose bit rattling around in the chuck gives me the heebee-jeebees.
I think KingAether's link might actually be the part though!
sorry i can't be any help on the measurements etc for them but looks the right thing, website shows its part of a lathe chuck

They do, I've been looking round and asking the few machinists I know of and nobody seems to know what they're called. I can't find dimensions on that link, which is annoying so I'll drop them an email.

If its a regular thread, then get some threadbar, cut a bit of it, chuck it in a drill, turn on the grinder and grind it smooth.
Use the wheel on the right of the grinder as you want both going downwards.
Great way to make an awl from a long masonary nail to get it nice and sharp.

Tom

I thought it was a broken tap from the picture..
I think Ttrees idea is a good one.

Making them yourself sounds like a good idea but remember that they could be hardened against wear so using some studding may not be ideal. Look at the way the originals have worn. So buy some which are correct if possible

BTW, flh's idea of a bit of rod held in place with a grub screw seems to have worked. I had a minor whoopsie with the bandsaw so it'll be a week or so before I can really test it, but it looks good so far.

Back