What are my clamping options...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymien

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on clamping options on my workbench. Whilst making the face frame for a radiator cover, I went to glue up the panels using biscuits, and found the overall width was longer than the two sash clamps I have, at 1200mm wide. My bench has dog holes, so I was wondering whether these clamps would be suitable?

Quick Ratchet Release Speed Squeeze Woodworking Clamp Clip Kit Spreader Gadget Tool DIY

I got around it by having to do the glue up in two sections, but I'd much rather be able to do it all in one go. It's only 18mm MDF, and so doesn't need a huge clamping pressure, and these clamps are much more affordable than parallel clamps, plus I can set them at any width I want. I know they can be prone to raising the boards slightly, but I can reduce this by clamping the board down to the bench to keep the piece straight...

Thoughts? Waste of money for glue ups?

Why don’t you re work the rails that run through. I presume your currently trying to glue to lengthways (to the rad). But surely if the top and bottom rails of the panel ran end to end, then that changes the orientation of your clamps. Ie - height wise. So you clamps would then suffice?

Louis

Bolting the two clamps together is one option as has been suggested.Investing in two set of Record adjustable clamps is a good investment.You can use a nice solid straight bit of hardwood or buy a length
CC0F6213-CAFD-46E1-9046-E227DE5317A1.jpeg
CC93A605-137B-4987-8D7B-028B145C7BC4.jpeg
of rectangular section mild steel bar to fit them

I haven’t seen those in years, my dad had some in the 50s, crikey. I’m not 100% sure what it is you’re trying to do really but never forget the power of the wedge or better still two wedges working against each other. Ian

That's where pipe clamps shine. A few longer pipes are easy enough to store in a corner or use couplings to join 2 pipes to make a longer clamp.

Pete

I had the same problem with my latest project of a mantle. Too long and cramps too short.
Quickly ran to ebay to see isf there were any record cramp head sets(As above) going, but as usual seemed everyone was looking for cramp ends, and they weren't bothered on the condition, so nothing affordable for a week, Plus due to this pandemic, seems even1700mm(66") sash were thin on the ground,

So I made extensions out of 15mm ply, raised at the end to account for the usual ends. Worked from 3 holes back, so 3 nut/bolt held it in place to give it plenty of bracing
You need to get a bolt or pin that matches the cramp hole size wise, or when you put serious weight on it, it could shift, putting a twist in your work. The void between the 2 I glued some solid wood and pinned it.

Keep the length in between your longest section and maximum for the handle screw you have room for softening blocks. Also keep in mind if there's biscuits involved, its not going to go together fully till cramped, so you'll need space for them. (Little points to take into account, unlike myself, suddenly finding my contrived fixture is too narrow still 🤣 ) much bashing involved to close up the joints to get it to fit.

As cabinetman said if your bench has dog holes then stops and wedges should do the trick? Same issues keeping it flat but this can be done with careful application and/or use of hold downs/weights etc. At a push you can rig up hold downs using long bolts and timber through more dog holes.

Latest posts

Back