What? Another saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently received some saws to be sharpened for a local collector/galoot. He gave me the saw below as thanks--and its (the saw's) 100th anniversary of the patent given to it is coming up on December 12. Kinda cool I thought.

It's a rip on one side and a crosscut on the other. The saw plate is rather stiff, so much so that it deflects little and cuts without bending. The handle rotates to allow a proper hand angle.

In the scheme of things, this saw probably will not really receive use. Instead I'll just keep it with some others I have that don't see much use. And perhaps I'll make my own version...

wuest_0001.jpg

wuest_0002.jpg

Take care,

Mike

Now that's a cool saw! Kind of like a western ryoba. Let us know if you come up with your own version.
Thanks for showing.

MikeW":81x5fxjh said:
its (the saw's) 100th anniversary of the patent given to it is coming up on December 12. Kinda cool I thought.
Yep, definitely kinda cool.

BTW, Mike, how are your various injuries? Okay? 'Bout due for another one now, aren't you...? 8-[ Take care. [-X

Cheers, Alf

BTW, Mike, how are your various injuries? Okay? 'Bout due for another one now, aren't you...? Take care.
Hah!

Dina and I were just laughing about that tonight. 3 injuries in 3 months. So if things do run in threes...

I just shipped off 17 saws I sharpened, 3 saws I made (and of course sharpened), and a whole box of carving chisels--all done without incident, thank you very much :lol:

But then, I have 14 more that have come in. And the week is young :wink:

Take care, Mike

MikeW":1bynerpr said:
I just shipped off 17 saws I sharpened, 3 saws I made (and of course sharpened), and a whole box of carving chisels--all done without incident, thank you very much :lol:
Busy man. Fancy a busman's holiday over here...? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Busy man. Fancy a busman's holiday over here...?
A holiday? What's that?

Well, I've taken short weekend trips (2-3 days), but haven't had a proper holiday for, oh, too many years. Too many to count. Last one was probably in 1996-1997 or so. Unless one counts being in the hospital for extended periods in 1998-2000. I don't. Wasn't fun.

Of course, it can feel like a holiday when Dina takes off for a week or two to visit family :lol:

But the plan is to take an extended camping trip this year. I've got the itch to get back fishing. Maybe Montana. Flathead lake? Have a relative there. Maybe back up to BC. We spent a month and a half there some 30 years ago. Wonderful trip.

Back to saws...Take care, Mike

I suppose you would have to put identical set on both sides otherwise it could bind on deep/long cuts? Or was it intended as a backless tenon saw?
As a backless saw. There is surprising little set, the teeth are sharp as given though it looks like it was used a lot after its last sharpening.

But yep, it appears to have "identical" set. As fine as the teeth are, I doubt it was intended for anything other than a dual-purpose joinery saw. With the handle in the center position as pictured it functions quite well.

Few were made by Bishop (the patent assignee). But enough that they show up. So far, the examples all have the patent date stamped into the handle. Someone from the Old Tools list emailed saying they thought they had an example as well and were going to check.

In the end it is little more than a curiosity whose functions I think are better served by seperate saws. That said, I may make one or more as per the patent drawing--if I can figure out the compression nut that is activated by the wingnut. It doesn't appear any were actually made as the drawing would indicate. Most likely Bishop determined the cost too high and sought another means less costly. Which also applies to the blade shape I suppose.

Take care, Mike

I've had a couple of these, one by Geo. Bishop and one by Keen Kutter (made by Bishop). I've seen a Disston like this as well.
It should have a depth stop bar as shown in the picture.

116267_lg.jpg

The picture is of a 16" Geo. Bishop that MJD sold for $135. Mine didn't sell as well even though they were in better condition. :lol:
These things are equally uncomfortable to ripping or crosscutting. :lol:

Hmm... after further review, yours looks a bit different. You mentioned a patent of December 12, 1905. I was thinking of the January 9, 1906 patent as shown here. Close, but not the same. mea culpa.

Hi Roger,

Yep, this is the predessor. Bishop was the manufacturer of all 3 patents Wuest was granted.

The first and the third were for the saw you pictured (yours, the 3rd, was the improvement for his first patent).

The second one, which is the saw I have, is simply referred to as a "Combined Crosscut and Rip Saw" so my early reference to it as a backless backsaw is probably incorrect. Which would make it a jack of all [sawing], master of none. <g>

Here is a pic of the patent stamp on the saw:

wuest_0003.jpg

Here are the links to all three patents...

Tenon or Back Saw, Jul. 12, 1898
Combined Crosscut and Rip Saw, Dec. 12, 1905
Saw, Jan. 09, 1906

Take care, Mike

Latest posts

Back