What an silly person!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myturn

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I'd have a go at making some egg-cups practising for the March challenge and all was going very well.

I had a spindle between centres and my plan (not a very well thought out one) was to make 2 egg-cups from this same spindle, one at each end.

So I proceeded to form the shape and had 2 practically identical egg-cups on the spindle, all nicely shaped and ready for hollowing. Very please with progress so far as I rarely do any spindle work and it had taken me a whole day to get this far.

That was when I realised that the slender stems would not be strong enough to take the force of hollowing the damn things! Doh!

I did try on the drill press with a forstner bit but the first egg-cup broke its spindle so I gave up in disgust.

Lesson learnt.

When making an egg-cup, hollow it first, THEN shape it. (hammer) :-({|=

You're not the first nor will you be the last to do that, me it was a goblet, half turned the stem then tried to hollow. Never mind, lesson learned is least forgotten

Pete

This does not make you an silly person you have as you say learned a lesson and no harm done.
You have given me an idea for my Blog how to make an egg cup or a Goblet.
One for the future thank you.

Regards George

today i was turning something similar in shape to a goblet, when i tried to hollow the end it broke off, flew up in the air and broke the florecent bulb off the light. it showered me in glass and it took ages to pick up all the pieces.

Make sure that things like goblets are spindle turned e.g. the grain running along the bed not across it. You will be hollowing into the end grain and have the strength running along the wood not across it

pete

George Foweraker":3mzqmf6o said:
This does not make you an silly person you have as you say learned a lesson and no harm done.
You have given me an idea for my Blog how to make an egg cup or a Goblet.
One for the future thank you.

Regards George
Cheers George, but if I'd spent a bit more time thinking about it I should have realised my the folly of my plan but I was too eager to get started!

I do agree with the sentiments of your signature.

Look forward to seeing your blog, I have followed it with interest so far.

regards
Mick

Making 4 egg-cups exactly the same is going to seriously challenge my attention span, I'll get bored after the first and want to do something different. :roll:

Back