What am I making? ** A sacrificial cutting table **

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerM

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a lovely sunny day, and I have just taken delivery of a s/h Festool TS55 plungesaw and 2 x 1400 guide rails, and it's time to have a play. So that's how I found myself with a sheet of 8 x 4 18mm WBP plywood precariously balanced across 2 trestles and a Workmate.

Here's the result of my labours. 4 lengths 7 ft x 150mm, and 9 lengths of 3 ft x 150mm.

P1030529.JPG

All ready for the next stage. Only additional timber required will be 4 x 3 ft lengths of 4 x 2.

Can you see what it is yet? Plenty of clues given!

RogerM":2lsq2w7k said:
WBP plywood precariously balanced across 2 trestles and a Workmate.

Sounds like an accident wating to happen :shock: , Roger please make a proper cutting bench

cambournepete":3ce660gg said:
Well if you don't know what you're making ... :)

I reckon it's a table for cutting up more sheets with your Festool - I just wish I had the room for o a dedicated table.

Yep - this is the nearest. It's one of these.

CNCPaul - I agree. I'm getting fed up with the balancing act. It's a miracle I haven't sawn the workmate in half. Better men than me have!

Cambourne Pete - I haven't really got the room either. The table will fold up and sit against the wall. We're building a 4.5m x 6m kitchen extension, and I'll set up shop in the extension whilst the unit build is taking place before we finally bring down the stud wall that separates the existing kitchen from the extended one. WIP thread will follow!

Rather than cut into the table, I know it's sacrificial but if it is used a lot it will soon deteriorate, why not lay a sheet of compressed foam insulation on top of the table and cut into that. The one and only time I have a cut an 8x4 sheet of ply I did this and it worked a treat.

I will be doing it again when I come to rip some large chestnut boards in a week or two, laying the foam on top of my workbench.

Cheers

Andy

Pete, I've just had a look at the woodshopdemos site. Sadly it appears that John Lucas died in Feb 2010. I am pretty sure that is who I remember watching. I seem to remember that he frequently managed to find some attractive passers by to help in the workshop. Used a lot of Festool kit as well IIRC. It seems that all of his videos have disappeared a great shame.

Andy

CNC Paul":ymc5mb8k said:
RogerM":ymc5mb8k said:
WBP plywood precariously balanced across 2 trestles and a Workmate.

Sounds like an accident wating to happen :shock: , Roger please make a proper cutting bench

I second that I took a huge chunk out of my 2700 rail when I cut something in a rush and didnt support it properly. It bit at the end of the cut and flew back and customised my rail for me :oops:

Thanks for the ideas guys, and sorry for the delay in responding. I've been involved in the destruction and reinstatement of our kitchen whilst a wall has been knocked out so haven't had my eye on this particular ball. Here is the finished item.

P1030587.JPG

Works very well. Dimensions are 3' x 7' so a sheet of 8 x 4 overhangs by a modest amount all round. Height is same as my workmate and trestles so I'll be able to handle larger sheets of MFC when needed. I thought of all sorts of methods of cutting the interlocking slots using an 18mm router cutter, but in the end I just used a panel saw down each side of the recess and cut through the end with a coping saw. Simples! Sometimes you can try and be too clever and the simple solution is the best and quickest one.

Looks good Rog and I seem to remember that Tiddles made something very similar recently? It's something that I could do with for slicing up 8x4's...at the moment I use a few bearers on the patio, which ain't the most convenient way to saw large sheets of stuff - Rob

Thanks Rob. The cellular construction also means it is very resistant to torsion, so I'm finding I can assemble things on it and keep them flat, as well as having the option to fix an F clamp at any position, which is a real bonus.

Roger, yours is a vast improvement on the one in the video!

If that guy is so clever, how come he didn't brace the legs properly?

I'm going to make one to Aidan's design when the weather improves next year. I don't think you can beat it for elegance, and simplicity, and economical use of materials, and once you've made his router template, you can knock out another one (if you ever need to) really quickly.

Cheers,

E.

Back