What a waste!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superduner

Established Member
Reaction score
About 6 years ago, I bought an end of season powered awning for around 600€. Over the years, the cloth material has of course degraded because of uv and weather,
so I've been looking around for a replacement piece of material 3800mm x 3000mm, hemmed to finish. The prices for said material have just astounded me. Minimum of 500€ up to 900€.
I live in France, so have tried sourcing here because getting it sent out from England would typically add up to 40% tax and duty.
A friend of mine (obviously more switched on than me) has suggested that I look at a new unpowered awning of the same size, using the material and selling the frame online - and guess what. I can buy such an awning for a couple of hundred euros.
My point is, why this economic model? It seems to be just part of our throw away society where the lack of a reasonably priced (or even of an unreasonably priced) spare part causes an otherwise good item to be scrapped.
I repair "stuff" for people as a hobby, and I run across this all the time, usually with power tools. An obviously disposable part on a tool breaks and is not sold separately so the tool is thrown away. It makes me so angry.
Rant over.

Have a look at Sun Sails as well, may be able to find one big enough to cut down, many are triangular but I bought a square one quite reasonably.

Depends on the quality of the material as well. We installed an awning and had that for 20 years and was in great condition. At the time it was the largest domestic awning we could get but replaced it 4 years ago that is larger and the size that suits. We sold the old awning for £200.00!

Our current awning is now 4 years old and in as new condition.

So my question is, do we get what we pay for? But I agree with you on repairing stuff, it's so frustrating that it can cost considerably more to have something repaired as opposed to buying new. But then it's not just the availability or cost of the component but of course the labour costs involved as well. The repairer is entitled to make a living.

So is it a case of pay more it lasts longer, or pay less and then pay to repair it (or throw it away)?

Have a look at Sun Sails as well, may be able to find one big enough to cut down, many are triangular but I bought a square one quite reasonably.
I can buy the material "raw" from the company in Holland that quoted the least for the completed awning at 18€ per metre/1.8 wide (10€/m2). made up it's over 40€/m2. Finding someone near where I am to stitch a heavy material, I know would be expensive. It's only a hem on all 4 sides, after all.

My point is, why this economic model? It seems to be just part of our throw away society where the lack of a reasonably priced (or even of an unreasonably priced) spare part causes an otherwise good item to be scrapped.
You must have noticed this long before now, it is all part of mass production and marketing. Spares are an aspect that involves another department and associated oncost so they would rather just sell a complete new unit rather than just something to keep it going. Yes we are in the throwaway world and it is another factor contributing to climate change but that is why so many goods have become affordable to the masses. I would much prefer going back to when many items were reconditioned, but that cannot happen anymore because the OEM's have taken that aspect from the design in order to reduce cost and maximise profit.

I have repaired many an item that required something trivial, but if you are a business serving customers then as they are paying the bill they just replace and you take the hit.

So my question is, do we get what we pay for?
Yes and no, thesedays what you can pay is heavily influenced by branding and snobery. Is an apple phone really worth what they get away with charging, no but because they have a blind following they just milk them and this applies to so much today. But if you think what you could be paying for the other halfs handbag, look at this one, makes woodworking seem a cheap option

https://www.mulberry.com/gb/shop/wo...3hHt9prSTkfxqpHFkFRoCw-0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
and functionally identical and probably last longer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Func...3&sr=1-2-fe323411-17bb-433b-b2f8-c44f2e1370d4

I'm in the same boat but my are vertical weather blinds...I need about 50m2......
it's called
IMG_5557.jpeg
Polyester woven PVC.....
if ur lucky some can be glued together with a spirit glue like whats used on PVC plumbing....
I'm talking about the cream material.....
I can buy it here for 15euros per/m2 but found it in China for $1.60 US...but u have to buy min 3,000m2.....dohhhh...

Most people are incapable of repairing anything. Unlike most contributors to this forum. This creates a problem for those that can!

OEMs (probably) source material to make '000's at a time, at a fraction of what is would cost for a single item this applies to all products - awnings, cars, toasters, TVs, etc etc.

As woodworkers we sometimes struggle to buy sawn timber for the price charged by most of the retail trade for fully finished furniture - chairs, tables, beds, bookshelves etc.

Stocking spare parts for older products for the for the ever smaller number requested becomes increasingly costly. For an awning sourcing the right material, cutting and sewing it to particular dimensions needs separate and ineffcient processes to normal production runs.

For most products over time there are design changes, material changes, colour changes, dimensional changes etc. There is some government regulation to improve the spares and repair culture which can only be a good thing if implemented.

What motivated you to buy the awning may have been price (end of season sale). Price is a major determinant is buyer behaviour. Companies make products down to a price and cannot afford to carry components or parts that cannot be sold profitably.

This is not an enviromental defence of how things are - but a reality.

I'm in the same boat but my are vertical weather blinds...I need about 50m2......
it's calledView attachment 115625 Polyester woven PVC.....
if ur lucky some can be glued together with a spirit glue like whats used on PVC plumbing....
I'm talking about the cream material.....
I can buy it here for 15euros per/m2 but found it in China for $1.60 US...but u have to buy min 3,000m2.....dohhhh...
Yes Polyester, used for boat covers and lorry tarpaulins, try to find a tarpaulin maker nearby, there is one in my home town but that’s no good to you, they make deckchair slings for me. Guarantee it will be a whole bunch cheaper than your quote. It’s really tough stuff and comes in all sorts of colours. You could always ask a local transport co where to go. Ian

We live in France and most things very expensive. Have you considered ordering from a manufacturer in Germany or Spain? Delivery would not be much than delivery within France. We considered side panels as per previous photo as they are very common in Spain.

Using Google, I've tried almost every potential source, but prices are fairly constant wherever I look. China is next on my list, but as mentioned somewhere above, I'd have to buy 50 of them (so far). Correspondence continues.

I'm off to a diy place about 50km away this morning as they advertise a manual blind of the right size for a couple of hundred euros, but in a limited range of colours. If the Minister of the Interior approves, then I'll buy that, use the material and continue the search. If I can find just the material in the future, I'll put it on the new blind frame and flog it online.

The replacement pretty much has to be done now as the old stuff is completely shot and is the only thing waiting to be done on the terrace refurb.

If you live near the coast try and find someone that does boat canvas / seat covers etc. Not saying they will be any cheaper as anything with the word boat attached usually means a multiple of 3 on the price but it's worth a try.

I bought awning type canvas from ebay a couple of years ago, its probably made in china and bought in bulk by resellers, good range of colours and seemed like good stuff, if you think the french customs will sting you dont you have a mate visiting from the uk who can take it over, or repack and send it to you as a gift? (Dont the french have Le ebay?)
I would also say that lots of older domestic sewing machines when fitted with a canvas needle will comfortably sew canvas, Im sure the old black Singers would manage and its not as though your trying to make a suit,,how hard can it be?,,,and think of all the snails you could buy with the money youve saved.
Btw Im not sure lorry side curtains are the same stuff,,really heavy reinforced plastic I think?
Steve.

I know someone with an industrial machine who would easily be able to hem the material, but then there's the cost of shipping it to her from supplier, her time (it's her hobby so she's pretty cheap) then back to you in france, doubt it might work out any cheaper.

OK, here's the final , I hope, chapter in the story. Many, many thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. That's what forums are for, and I appreciate all of them. Some I had already tried, but I followed up on most of the rest.
Anyway, we went to a couple of big diy/homeware shops this morning and no one has any (and I mean any) awnings. Apparently production and delivery of them has ended in France until next March.
So I tried another search online, including the Chinese websites and found just the material, no frame, from.....Amazon.fr. Buried deep in a place I would never have thought of looking. It's coming from China of course but it's only 74€. Not the colour we would have preferred, but it'll do for the winter and then we can change it in the spring if necessary.

Hmmm... Here you are, complaining about the waste involved because you can't get a spare part - and then you write, ,"it'll do for the winter and ... change it in the spring". What happens with the discarded one?

I keep it as a spare for the next "change out", make a shade sail out of it or cover the bike. No wastage in this house

Back