What a waste of a day!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I have had the most frustrating day of the year - Well I only went back on the 3rd so not boding well for 2012!

Started by finding the fence at the back of our house decided to take up squatters rights in our neighbours garden having blown down last night - Looks like Saturday will be spent putting up a new fence.

Then went to the and started machining the European Cherry I purchased in October for the Cherry Dresser which is my first job this year - Guess what - Its American! Can't fault the timber its beautiful but as the dresser has to match furniture previously made for these clients needs to be European.

Anyway - American cherry duly carried over to the wood store and trudged off to my local timber yard - Luckily only a few miles away.

An hour later I was driving back to the workshop with 15 cubic feet of lovely clean European Cherry boards in the back of my van - Ok a bit dusty but at least problem solved - I thought!

On machining the newly acquired cherry it was riddled with worm, I ran five boards through the thicknesser and the whole lot was full of worm - amazingly there was negligable traces on the surface of the boards - obviously not many flight holes yet.

Anyway re-loaded the timber back into my van and returned it - my timber merchant was very apologetic and totally unaware - we then spent the next hour or so sorting through about three more complete packs of the cherry that he recently bought in and the whole lot is shot! He is furious - I was the first to have any of it and it only came in from France just before Christmas.

Anyway after many phone calls tracked down some replacement timber from a contact I have down near Ipswich 45miles away - So tomorrow morning off to see him and hopefully I can then get on

So in a nutshell - What a waste of a day!

:( :( :(

Dodge":5qkl0s9n said:
Sorry but I have had the most frustrating day of the year - Well I only went back on the 3rd so not boding well for 2012!

Started by finding the fence at the back of our house decided to take up squatters rights in our neighbours garden having blown down last night - Looks like Saturday will be spent putting up a new fence.

Then went to the and started machining the European Cherry I purchased in October for the Cherry Dresser which is my first job this year - Guess what - Its American! Can't fault the timber its beautiful but as the dresser has to match furniture previously made for these clients needs to be European.

Anyway - American cherry duly carried over to the wood store and trudged off to my local timber yard - Luckily only a few miles away.

An hour later I was driving back to the workshop with 15 cubic feet of lovely clean European Cherry boards in the back of my van - Ok a bit dusty but at least problem solved - I thought!

On machining the newly acquired cherry it was riddled with worm, I ran five boards through the thicknesser and the whole lot was full of worm - amazingly there was negligable traces on the surface of the boards - obviously not many flight holes yet.

Anyway re-loaded the timber back into my van and returned it - my timber merchant was very apologetic and totally unaware - we then spent the next hour or so sorting through about three more complete packs of the cherry that he recently bought in and the whole lot is shot! He is furious - I was the first to have any of it and it only came in from France just before Christmas.

Anyway after many phone calls tracked down some replacement timber from a contact I have down near Ipswich 45miles away - So tomorrow morning off to see him and hopefully I can then get on

So in a nutshell - What a waste of a day!

:( :( :(

Deep breaths Roger 8) Mind you I bet that was a sickner not only for you but the timber merchant...

Tomorrow is a brand new day :lol:

I suppose the only way of making something good out of the day is that I now have about 15 Cubic Feet of beautiful extremely clean American Cherry which I can stash away for another day - and when I bought it I only paid European Cherry price for it.

:p

Think yourself lucky .....'to my timber merchant only a few miles away' .....for those of us in the depths of Herefordshire that is luxury :evil: :wink:

Oh well here goes, off to collect replacement timber - lets hope today goes better! :mrgreen:

Hi,
hope you have a better day today, at least the winds have clamed down...

So with the wormy wood, obviously no good for making, but how do you manage to avoid or stop cross contamination?, get the stuff out of the way ASAP?,
I'm assuming that as there were no or few surface flight holes the worms were still active...
I store some of my wood outside, and am very wary when I bring it indoors....

SteveB43":2pikqplv said:
Hi,
hope you have a better day today, at least the winds have clamed down...

So with the wormy wood, obviously no good for making, but how do you manage to avoid or stop cross contamination?, get the stuff out of the way ASAP?,
I'm assuming that as there were no or few surface flight holes the worms were still active...
I store some of my wood outside, and am very wary when I bring it indoors....

Hi Steve, basically if I find any trace or worm other than that which was alive when the tree was alive but killed by the kilning process ends up immediately on the fire pile - which I hasten to add is not stored within the workshop or woodstore.

Remember when the flight holes are evident on the outside the little sods have been munching away for up to three years!!!

Anyway as for today - Chalk and Cheese springs to mind.

Yesterday was miserable windy and wet so backwards and forwards to timber yards, loading and unloading wasn't the best of fun.

Today, bright sunny day, dry and after an enjoyable drive to a fellow cabinet makers workshop in Ipswich I had 10 cubic feet of perfect cherry boards loaded in the van - glad it was dry as at 12' long they had to hang out of the back on the way home.

photo13.jpg

The timber is some of the best cherry I have ever had, was apparently left over from a commission for a stately home a few years ago average width, are you ready for this 400mm and that isn't including the small amount of sap!

To save manouvering round the workshop much to my wifes entertainment actually got out a handsaw to crosscut -

photo21.jpg

Sarah found it hilarious, comments like you dont you have to plug that in, and where's the on/off button etc - I do actually do some work by hand I will have you know!

Anyway after some thicknessing I managed to get the top surface of the dresser biscuited to the 500mm width before leaving to pick up the sprogs from School as my wife had a meeting this afternoon.

photo20.jpg

Anyway going back to the workshop this evening and will be working all day tomorrow to try and catch up for yesterday! At least with the board the width they are I'm not going to have to try joint as much of the timber together - Result!

I will try and keep this thread going as a WIP!

I'm in dread of the worm, my workshop is a cellar space indoors in my Victorian terrace, brick and I'm sure very tasty 100+ year old pine in construct...

will definitely be interested in the WIP thread, a real result with that cherry....

I actually think the European stuff looks so much nicer than the American, but have only ever used the latter. I have heard stories of the Euro variety having a tendency to wander all over the place with the slightest provocation. Is this rumour well founded?

Jim

If I lived closer I'd be round to pick up all the off-cuts if they are all the same size you have your left hand on=P~

Andy

andersonec":n42vu9xo said:
If I lived closer I'd be round to pick up all the off-cuts if they are all the same size you have your left hand on=P~

Andy

As I am a bit closer, please let me know if there are any off-cuts going.

I dont think there will be many offcuts - It is a large dresser!

I know where ther is a huge pile of cherry going very cheap though - unfortunately comes with unwanted guests! :mrgreen:

OK folks - instead of carrying this thread on I will start a proper WIP for this project in the appropriate section for those that wish to follow the construction of the cherry dresser to its completion.

Therefore THREAD CLOSED

Latest posts

Back