What a Band Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
The project I am working on at present require 25 inserts 8 1/2" x 8" x 3/16", the wood is AWO.

Asked Philly and martin if their band saws would take the hieght of 8 1/2" and unfortunately theirs wouldn't tackle the job.

So on the phone it was and I manged to track down a firm that could cut the planks down for me, it was Travis Perkins in Bridport.

When I got there with the wood I was amazed to see this massive band saw, it had a 36" cut, the blade was 3mm thick and 6" deep, the wood was fed through on power rollers. It took 5 minutes to feed through three 5 foot planks and only cost me a fiver to have done.

I got talking with the operator and he said that its a real state of the art machine and I have to agree with him, mind you it was only 45 years old.

As usual I didn't have my camera with me, I hear you say, " why didn't you use your mobile phone", unfortunately my phone only makes and receives calls.

Waka":mnufvkj4 said:
unfortunately my phone only makes and receives calls.

A phone for making and receiving calls?! OK, so it may not take photos, but pleeeease tell me that it does have the built in band saw capable of cutting 8 1/2"? If not, you've been conned.

i used a bandsaw like that when i worked for Hammal Joinery. Scared the living c**p out of me. Snapped blades made good cabinet scraps, but i didn't want to be around when it did snap

Andy

Waka
Glad you got it sorted-and for a £5! How many slices did you get out of a plank? 2 or 3?
Still think you are a bit chicken for not letting be break it down, deep rip and then re-join. :wink: :lol:
Cheers
Philly
Woodkateer :norm:

Philly":2kdaltqk said:
Waka
Glad you got it sorted-and for a £5! How many slices did you get out of a plank? 2 or 3?
Still think you are a bit chicken for not letting be break it down, deep rip and then re-join. :wink: :lol:
Cheers
Philly
Woodkateer :norm:

Cluck cluck, only got two slices out of each plank, I did think of three but as it turned out a couple of them bowed due to releasing the stresses, now got to plane off 6mm from each one to get the right thickness. I'll work on that today so hopefully get the project finished today.

Back