What’s with this Scam?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that on FB too. Knew it must be a scam but replied. The seller sent a link to a website. As I saw they took Paypal, thought I'd take a punt as could get money back via Paypal. When I tried to pay with PP, website reported an error, so tried to divert you to pay by card. Needless to say I didn't. I then got a bit of increased extra spam to my email which I blocked. Total scam, I wasted a bit of time, don't waste yours

I can’t see what they are hoping to gain as they didn’t even message me back asking for cash.
You’ll be on the list and when they get you it will likely be a 240v machine, be gold plated or anything else you want. They’ll also send you payment details probably via a bank transfer or requesting you email them vouchers (Apple is popular). They will also make it urgent, ‘only one left’ or ‘must sell by end of tomorrow due to a house move’, etc. Once you send the money or vouchers, that will be the last you will hear from them and you certainly won’t get the goods.

I confess that I did reply to the DeWalt table saw scam on FBMP, so maybe I belong on planet thicknesses, as the OP's autocomplete amusingly rendered it.
The reply simply gave me a URL to click, which I declined, as my rodent sniffing powers had returned to their normal strength by that point.

Those thicknessers are on our local facebook pages as well from several sources and a number of other DeWalt tools are also listed at similar silly prices and if you ask a question which looks as if you might buy then you get an answer but ask more searching questions and they'll just ignore or block you. Report them and the ads disappear for a few days but are soon back. I've done all of this just to wind the beggers up. The advice buyer beware is very important for Facebook, Gumtree and NEVER part with money until you have the item in your mitts.

If it's too good to be true then it's very rarely genuine, a brand new machine at a fraction of retail price is either knocked off or a scam and I agree with Mike, if you're compos mentis enough to use some of these machines then you really shouldn't be taken in by blatantly obvious scams.

I confess that I did reply to the DeWalt table saw scam on FBMP, so maybe I belong on planet thicknesses, as the OP's autocomplete amusingly rendered it.
The reply simply gave me a URL to click, which I declined, as my rodent sniffing powers had returned to their normal strength by that point.
That's exactly what they're after John.
Address, phone numbers and any other details they can get are like gold dust, Google earth and street view can also identify your house layout, workshop etc and also possibly make you a target. My next door neighbour is a recently retired DI and some of his insights into criminal activities make interesting listening.

That's exactly what they're after John.
Address, phone numbers and any other details they can get are like gold dust, Google earth and street view can also identify your house layout, workshop etc and also possibly make you a target. My next door neighbour is a recently retired DI and some of his insights into criminal activities make interesting listening.
They didn't get anything like that from me. I simply asked why it was so cheap, they sent a link which I had better sense than to click. Interestingly, I've seen the table saw a couple more times since, and it's always been a female "seller".

Yes I saw that from your post John. I think all of us want a Rolls Royce for the price of a Mini so curiosity kick in before logic stops us going any further. DIY and tool sales have gone through the roof lately and they are tapping in on the increased newbies who aren't always clued up. They only need a few to make it profitable.
Interesting about being female sellers, I'd noticed that as well and wondered, maybe they think that makes it less suspicious.

Yes I saw that from your post John. I think all of us want a Rolls Royce for the price of a Mini so curiosity kick in before logic stops us going any further. DIY and tool sales have gone through the roof lately and they are tapping in on the increased newbies who aren't always clued up. They only need a few to make it profitable.
Interesting about being female sellers, I'd noticed that as well and wondered, maybe they think that makes it less suspicious.
I think the female seller also opens the door for the ‘I have no idea what it is worth - my ex left it behind when he ran off with the baby sitter and I just want it out of the way’ excuse which gives some plausibility to the ridiculously low price.

I think the female seller also opens the door for the ‘I have no idea what it is worth - my ex left it behind when he ran off with the baby sitter and I just want it out of the way’ excuse which gives some plausibility to the ridiculously low price.
That was my first thought, but sending a link to a site doesn't fit that scenario.

I empathize with the gullible or trusting pensioner who gets scammed by a telemarketer or someone pretending to be an Amazon customer service rep. However, these pensioners might not be the target audience for someone trying to scam with an unrealistically low price on a hard to get item. For some, being stupid should be painful and/or expensive...and there should be a tenth circle of hell for the scammers.
In fairness there are plenty of woodworking machines that get bought and sold at unrealistically low prices and sometimes by people unaware of the value or perhaps its rarity at the time of purchase. Some of these situations become threads on woodworking forums like this one.

Just think they should have some slack if they get caught out is all.

While that may well have happened to your sister's boyfriend's brother, variations on that story abound.
I suspect it's quite common, it's also often joked about the fear by some woodworkers that when they pass their widows may sell their 'toys' for the price they told them they bought them for. That's got to impact separations as well.

I've known people spilt and they just want their partners items gone, the value of those items isn't the issue other that it being used as a weapon sometimes in devaluing them.

I did manage to avoid FB for years and years until about 6months ago when I discovered marketplace through a mate. Amongst other searches I’ve made we’re some for large sheds and, due to the crazy increase in timber prices, moreso plastic sheds (I already have another small one and it’s great!). They are being advertised at around £100 when they should cost about £800-1000.

Since then I’ve received dozens of ads for, you’ve guessed it, plastic sheds and whilst I’m always on my guard, was initially amazed to find these sellers are only a few miles away from me. Bloody hell, how lucky am I? As soon as they have you on the hook its always “we offer free delivery etc……from our website…..do you want to purchase……”.

Long story short, I actively look for them now and (I know I should get a life) ask “are these still available” followed by “not interested in your website as I’m only half-hour away and have a van so I’ll take 5 if you have them in stock”……they’ll respond with “you can only buy them via our website etc etc”……I’ll then eventually finalise it with “f*ck off scammers “ or something similar and then report them but, as someone said above, I’m not sure if they ever do anything about them.

The first few times I actually dug down a little deeper into them and did have a good look at their websites (which are all virtual clones of one another’s) and checked some of their ‘about us - staff photographs’ by reverse-checking the photo via Google photos. I’ve found the photos to be, amongst others, ikea staff and corporate images which completely confirmed that it was an obvious scam.

I was suprised to notice that they offer PayPal though but now understand (as explained on another post above) that if you go down that route they’ll pretend that there’s an issue and try to direct you elsewhere.

Don’t be afraid of ever looking at these ads just don't go any further and actually believe they’re real cos they’re not. They are clever, devious b*stards who simply know what YOU have been searching for…..someone above mentioned a thicknessor (I think) and so because he’d already looked for it previously they grab onto that and then offer the carrot, and will continue to do so for ages (they have with my shed anyway).

Don’t be afraid, just have a bit of fun with them and ask nonsense questions whilst you’re having a tea or coffee…..it’s better than spending time reading some of the news these days 🤔😁

The simplest test, for me anyway, is the website thing. Website = scam. End of.

I always remember the old saying before buying anything s/h..if anything seems too good to be true, usually it is. There's often a catch somewhere.
Very often sellers of new and second hand equipment in some instances, fail to show the price including VAT to attract buyers. What seems like a bargain isn't such a bargain when the VAT is added.

Of course you can pick up bargains but unless the seller is absolutely clueless then one should always beware. Caveat emptor as they say.

Here's a typical scam local to me at the minute, I've blanked out the sellers details but typically it's a female (allegedly). This is a combi kit, rare to find in the UK but typically would be £600 plus at least but brand new kit being listed at £73. The other photos in the listing includes an unopened boxed kit.

Definite scam, evasive communication, the listing will be taken down but I guarantee will be up again in a few days. Anyone taken in by these deserves to be.

drills.png

Back