What’s with this Scam?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB marketplace is rife with scams - I saw a £900 lego set advertised for just £73 - checked thier account page and a whole list of VASTLY underpriced items on it, and FB marketplace was the only activity - I reported the account, but kept an eye on it - it got deleted.

Up to you if you do the same.

ouch. I bought my planer probably 8 or 10 years ago now,but after a 22-580 (that hardly planed anything) gave up a bar that holds a blade in place. Many others did before mine, as the part was NLA while the actual machines were still being sold at retail.

At that time, the 734 was $349 plus $22 for a dust hood (and included tables). The 735 was $600 or so at the time with included tables (and people were buying left and right - the knives were not well regarded, either, but those re made by others - the OEM ones were very short lived).

The difference in cost puzzled me at the time and I still haven't figured it out.

Amazon has the 735 now for $631 with tables and an extra set of blades, and the 734 is up to $481, so whatever was going on in the past is narrowing. Everything other than the 735 has pretty much gone up with inflation since then and it's not moved much (or at all).

The point about safety certification is a good one. Hadn't thought of it.

I was in the US for 6 weeks recently and went to Home Depot and various other outlets* and was staggered at the price differences for larger work related machines - for example the dewalt 7485 250mm tablesaw was just $399. - that's a shade under £300.... in the UK it's £550 ($737 USD) yet they ALL come from China.

*Including the largest hardware outlet in America - Hartville Hardware - which was mental and had a DRIVE THROUGH lumber yard! Oh and a section with exotic woods that would be the envy of many wood suppliers, I was drooling, I've never seen most of them up close.

I have a feeling that a business like dewalt (not sure which parent they're under) picks a main market and then strategizes on alternate markets - usually at a higher price or through another distributor. And you get stuffed on price for the add on they demand.

It happens to us for european goods (anything kitchen or vacuum, etc, from europe is popular here and we get shelled on the price. And then the next step after that is for the euro makers to decide "well, we can make the stuff sold in north america in mexico - they don't know the difference" and half of the goods look the same as the euro made stuff but are lower quality due to poor build. VW/Audi fit that, and so does benz and BMW, which are not as well made here as Germany (VW/Audi are outright junk here - from experience - much of the stuff made in mexico and not ownable after a short period of time due to the residual value vs. repair costs).

I spoke to a DeWalt rep I knew
he says they charge for what the market can stand….
Ive had good luck with the bigger DeWalt tools but not a fan of the other product esp as Milwaukee has hit the market…
yet try to buy stuff like this in France, even Bosch stuff can be nearly double the UK price….
WHY…..call it greed….
it just needs one manufacturer to lower prices ( make fair profit)
then the others will follow or they will clean up.

just hope it’s Makita etc

We just found Facebook marketplace and it does seems its full of scams, my wife is a FB member and was looking for a bit of furniture, she found a good looking example local to us and contacted the seller, prompt email reply, yes in stock and good to go,,,but were feeling uneasy about this, its a real bargain, so I contact PayPal who were going to pay through and found it easy to actually speak with someone, explained our concerns and they made a quick check of the advt seller details, everythings okay they said, “go ahead if theres any problems we will refund you” and after several weeks of checking a duff China Shipping tracking website, contacted paypal and recieved an instant refund.
Im guessing PayPal can get there money back from the seller or do they just loose it? The more I see and hear about china the less I think we should have to do with them,,,not at your hardware shop everythings made in china level, but at a political level where we as a country are steered away from our dependence on them, I fear for our children or grandchildren it will all end in tears!
Steve.

Every few days I check my junk folder, just in case there's anything there that should't be.

I got this from 1600 Pennsylvania ave.

US-WhiteHouse.svg
Office of the First Lady of the
United States
1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

Attention

I am sending you this message as directed by my Husband. Please read with your good understanding and avoid any sentiment.
My Husband the President of the United States of America Dr.Joe Biden has signed a release clause on your pending fund the sum of USD20, 500 000.00. In this regard it was told that you were unable to pay some delivering/routine charges leveled on the fund for the year 2019/2021 and 2022 due to your financial position.

However, with my position as the First Lady of the United States of America, I have pleaded to my Husband and the rest of his Cabinet to re-issue you a money Order Check of at least USD15.500 000.00 as a compensation over your struggles and troubles this transaction may have caused you, and as God may have it, my Husband signed this request on 24/2/2022 and as I speak to you right now, your Money Order Check worth a total sum of USD15. 500 000.00 is ready and should be delivered to your home address with immediate effect. Am so sorry for not having informed you all these while, I had a very tight schedule but right now I have made out time to work on this and I appreciate if you put your time and effort for us to achieve a successful end.

Furthermore, the White House Cabinet being more skeptical about this have demanded that you come over to Washington DC to sign for collection of your money Order Check and also for them to verify your details and Identity, upon completing this scenario they will release it to you and will help you cash it out from any Bank or USPS office nearby. Please I will appreciate your effort to find a way to come over here in DC within 3 working days, and in other hand I will also like you to let me know if you cannot come over here in DC for some personal reasons, then I will hire Attorney who will help you sign for
the collection on your behalf and he will bring it down to your location but it will cost you only the sum of $250 to hire Attorney who will help you sign this on your behalf.

This is a very important message and it requires your frantic effort and commitment. My primary objectives are to help the less privileged and to put smiles on the faces of people all over the world. Yes it is true that my Husband may have not been a good President because no one is above mistakes, but my work is to make things look good and to reshape his Presidential tenor to be acceptable before the entire American citizens and the World at large.

The president immunity waiver certificate number will be attached in your consignment so that airport authority will know that President immunity covers your fund. Finally, I want you to reply this message with sincerity and avoid any negative thoughts or whatsoever. I have been to some part of the World, including Africa, Middle East, Asia, Europe and South America etc...I have been able to put smiles on the Faces of their respective citizens and I am looking forward to do the same to you. Just buy $250 Steam Wallet Card or Google Play Card or Sephora card to cover the payment.scratch it and attached the picture to this email.

I have attached the scanned copy of my id card to you. Try and fill out your personal details including your, Full name, Home address, Occupation, Date of Birth, Place of Birth and Mobile number and also copy of your ID if there is any. Thanks and may the Lord be with you and your entire Family.

Best regards
Jill Biden Ponders Whether 'America Missed an Opportunity' When
Husband Didn't Run - ABC News
Mrs. Jill Biden
Email: [email protected]
First Lady of the United States of America

However, with my position as the First Lady of the United States of America, I have pleaded to my Husband and the rest of his Cabinet to re-issue you a money Order Check of at least USD15.500 000.00 as a compensation over your struggles and troubles this transaction may have caused you, and as God may have it, my Husband signed this request on 24/2/2022 and as I speak to you right now, your Money Order Check worth a total sum of USD15. 500 000.00 is ready and should be delivered to your home address with immediate effect. Am so sorry for not having informed you all these while, I had a very tight schedule but right now I have made out time to work on this and I appreciate if you put your time and effort for us to achieve a successful end.
I've just sent an email to Jill telling her of my struggles and troubles. When my cheque for USD15. 500 000.00 arrives, I'm taking everyone out for a few pints. I would leave a couple of days free at the end of next week. I should get it by then. ;)

I constantly report them on Facebook, but a waste of time.
i do the same, this 'scam's' been about for a while, in all my local area's their selling PT's like they're going out of fashion, one's so dumb he's selling a PT and its a pic of a table saw... it's not limited to tools either.. any high value objects are comming up.. Marketplace is becoming a swamp..

they want the gullible people who will see a bargain and not pause to think
It is amazing how people can believe that something at a ridiculously low price is real, don't they do any thinking or just a little bit of research to at least see if there is any reality in the sale.

That's a tad harsh, I see it as scammers don't deserve to get away with it as opposed to people being dumb enough to fall for it being fair game.
Thats the modern way of thinking, the best way of looking at it is that scammers would not exist if people were not so gullable and willing to just oblige these people, they are just fueling the issue. It is actually worse because not only are they being scammed they are funding organised crime and potentially providing cash to buy guns and support drugs manufacture. Having watched some of these programs that deal with fraud and scams on Tv it really does make you question some peoples intelligence, ok you may excuse the very old or mentally impaired because they have a genuine excuse but when you see someone take a phone call and the person claims to be from their bank and they just ask them to transfer their money into another account for security reasons and they just follow the instructions then they have no excuse, it is sheer stupidity. The very least you would expect is for them to phone their bank using another phone to get validation.

From personel experience I remember someone who was all excited because they had won some money and all they had to do was send some money so the courier could deliver the wining ticket, when I asked what they had entered and won they did not know but it was only £25 to get the wining ticket. Imagine if this was your scam, and a thousand people had fallen for it because it was just £25, that nets you £25 K tax free!

FB marketplace is rife with scams - I saw a £900 lego set advertised for just £73 - checked thier account page and a whole list of VASTLY underpriced items on it, and FB marketplace was the only activity - I reported the account, but kept an eye on it - it got deleted.

Up to you if you do the same.
If it's too good to be true, it ain't!
And if you believe that you have won millions in a lottery without having bought tickets, you have to admit to yourself that you are not 100 cents in the dollar. But then again, a fool will rush in . . .

If it's too good to be true, it ain't!
And if you believe that you have won millions in a lottery without having bought tickets, you have to admit to yourself that you are not 100 cents in the dollar. But then again, a fool will rush in . . .
Reminds me of the guy praying fervently asking God why he hadn't won a big lottery, and this voice comes from on high, saying " well, it would help if you actually bought a ticket!" Boom, boom. I'll let myself out.

I nearly fell for a scam on Gumtree. Selling a machine for £495. Message saying 'I can't come but will send a courier. Let me PayPal you the money". After Googling a bit realised it was a scam. Told the punter to Foxtrot Oscar. I think 'scamming' and a slang word for female genitalia featured as well.

Back