What’s with this Scam?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Shed Projects

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking of buying a planet thicknesses so jumped on face book and the first thing that came up was Dewalt DW735 for £100 in Northampton. I was pretty keen so DMB the bloke but with no reply.

I have since seen the same thing for sale in different towns with different seller names. It must be a scam and as I have responded I was wondering what consequences I can expect. I only sent 1 dm with no banking details or cash changing hands.

4D6CB3B4-7880-4F29-86D7-A34D053D0B09.jpeg
2BAAC69E-5D92-4050-AC62-56548CE35CD7.jpeg

steal photos from somewhere, steal a description
ask for full money up front or a deposit
never appear with the goods...
If all you have done is send a message, then no impact

It may be that the volume of responses outpaces the scammer's ability to respond.

It's also possible that they have a list of prior successes (as in, people who are willing to hand over banking information) and the scammers will go through the easy target responses first.

I remember one of the youtube scammer scammers (someone who wastes the time of computer scammers and then hijacks the scammer's PC and takes info off of it) pulling lists of confirmed victims off of indian (delhi) call center PC's. As in, if someone manages to get something gainful from a random computer user, their chance of being targeted goes way up because they are added to a "regular customer" list.

I think anyone who falls for these scams deserves to be separated with their money. The DW735X sells for about $700 in the U.S. and is 120VAC 60Hz only. A 230V 50Hz version is available in Russia and Australia, but not Europe.

I don’t think that machine is available in the UK; or at least it wasn’t when I was looking for one a couple of years ago.

It also has a US plug on it, so to-be-honest, I’m wondering if it’s the sort of trap that is designed to catch the ‘relatively unaware’ as most sensible people would not be keen on 110 volt, high current-draw machines.

The question I asked in the DM was “is it 240v “ as I had only seen them in the US. Impressive machine.

I haven’t seen this type of thing with any other machines. I can’t see what they are hoping to gain as they didn’t even message me back asking for cash.

They're not after people who'll ask questions - they want the gullible people who will see a bargain and not pause to think. Same reason why all the phishing scams are badly worded - they don't want even moderately smart people to respond.

I'm shocked dewalt doesn't sell that planer in England.

They managed at least for a while to get nearly twice as much for it as the perfectly capable DW734 (which I have and beat on once in a while - and it tolerates it well).

I wish they would, I suspect they can't get CE marking without doing major changes. It was sold on Amazon UK, I think it was about £900, but other charges on top of that.

They managed at least for a while to get nearly twice as much for it as the perfectly capable DW734 (which I have and beat on once in a while - and it tolerates it well).

What you get up to in the privacy of your own home is none of our business. 😂 😂 :)

I wish they would, I suspect they can't get CE marking without doing major changes. It was sold on Amazon UK, I think it was about £900, but other charges on top of that.

ouch. I bought my planer probably 8 or 10 years ago now,but after a 22-580 (that hardly planed anything) gave up a bar that holds a blade in place. Many others did before mine, as the part was NLA while the actual machines were still being sold at retail.

At that time, the 734 was $349 plus $22 for a dust hood (and included tables). The 735 was $600 or so at the time with included tables (and people were buying left and right - the knives were not well regarded, either, but those re made by others - the OEM ones were very short lived).

The difference in cost puzzled me at the time and I still haven't figured it out.

Amazon has the 735 now for $631 with tables and an extra set of blades, and the 734 is up to $481, so whatever was going on in the past is narrowing. Everything other than the 735 has pretty much gone up with inflation since then and it's not moved much (or at all).

The point about safety certification is a good one. Hadn't thought of it.

That's a tad harsh, I see it as scammers don't deserve to get away with it as opposed to people being dumb enough to fall for it being fair game.

I empathize with the gullible or trusting pensioner who gets scammed by a telemarketer or someone pretending to be an Amazon customer service rep. However, these pensioners might not be the target audience for someone trying to scam with an unrealistically low price on a hard to get item. For some, being stupid should be painful and/or expensive...and there should be a tenth circle of hell for the scammers.

I doubt there will be any consequences at all , the worst that could happen would be a abusive DM back to you , never used face book but i expect there is some type of block button you can press :)

I was thinking of buying a planet thicknesses so jumped on face book and the first thing that came up was Dewalt DW735 for £100 in Northampton. I was pretty keen so DMB the bloke but with no reply.

I have since seen the same thing for sale in different towns with different seller names. It must be a scam and as I have responded I was wondering what consequences I can expect. I only sent 1 dm with no banking details or cash changing hands.

View attachment 130185View attachment 130186

Hi. I was just looking for the Dewalt DWE7492 and ended up going for the DWE7485. I’d just placed the order when I too saw one advertised in Plymouth with the above ad for £100. I just presumed it was someone who might have been given an unwanted present so never messaged. Thanks for sharing 😊👍this as, while I’m careful normally, it’s good to remember there are unscrupulous people about.

There are plenty of Elektra Beckum / Metabo HC260 planer thicknesser around on Facebook - Ive just bought one for £300, it’s virtually brand new. The seller has upgraded to a Felder Hammer.

I think they are pretty good for the money.

Ive only bought it as I need a machine whilst I sort out separate surface planer and thicknesser machines.

Back