What’s this tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one too. It was my dad's and I can remember him using it when I was very young so it must be over 60 years old. Amazing how it has survived in such good condition. Here's a picture with the handles slightly compressed showing the pin that pushes the saw tooth. You can also see the graduated dial with the spiral face.

fullsizeoutput_997.jpeg

Your question makes me feel soooooo dated. I am only early 50s but over the course of my working life we have gone from one of these in every single toolbag and in every single hardware store to people never having seen one before. I am such a dinosaur.

I'm 37.

I was taught to use one of those to sharpen brashing saws by a forester 20 years ago.

I have two or three and occasionally they do still get some use.

I've got one too. It was my dad's and I can remember him using it when I was very young so it must be over 60 years old. Amazing how it has survived in such good condition. Here's a picture with the handles slightly compressed showing the pin that pushes the saw tooth. You can also see the graduated dial with the spiral face.

View attachment 135246
The Red Paint denotes the setting pin is smaller,,,for smaller saws,,
Steve.

Back