What’s this tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essex Barn Workshop

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
27B041FE-1380-4B44-8DD8-8D29EEB1B23E.jpeg
6DB9AD02-11F7-4EFE-A92B-4BAB03F5760F.jpeg
Found in my mum’s untidy drawer!

Your question makes me feel soooooo dated. I am only early 50s but over the course of my working life we have gone from one of these in every single toolbag and in every single hardware store to people never having seen one before. I am such a dinosaur.

Your question makes me feel soooooo dated. I am only early 50s but over the course of my working life we have gone from one of these in every single toolbag and in every single hardware store to people never having seen one before. I am such a dinosaur.
I still use one as do plenty other dinosaurs on this and other WW forums. The asteriod did not wipe them all out.
Regards
John

It is an Eclipse saw setter. As an ex-woodwork teacher in the days when we had to sharpen and set a workshop of twenty tenon saws I remember it well. I still have mine hanging up in my shop but with hard point throwaway saws it's become an orniment

First thing my dad taught me how to use 35 years ago. The dismay when I bought a hard point saw at the end of my first week!

Agree, its a saw-set. My dad used to have one exactly that model, until he lent it to a neighbour - and never saw it again…

Back