What’s the best thing you’ve learnt from this forum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
I learnt this trick from someone on this forum. It saves me hours, and every time I do it I think.....”god damn god bless the SOAB who recommended this”

And it’s this....

Using the Morticer to cut your wedge angles in door stiles. Nibbling out a mill at a time - just move the bed as you plunge.

So much faster that doing it with a chisel at the end. I love it. Makes me smile every time

3 things.
Never measure when you can mark.
Also:
Keep on going in the face of adversity because someone will help. You can only get better at playing chess by playing someone better.
Also:
There are so many good quiet people in the world. People who will help you as a stranger. Also that lots of people like to irritate others via keyboard. Learn the difference.

That's about it. Choose a side.

LBCarpentry":1x45nlvq said:
I learnt this trick from someone on this forum. It saves me hours, and every time I do it I think.....”god damn god bless the SOAB who recommended this”

And it’s this....

Using the Morticer to cut your wedge angles in door stiles. Nibbling out a mill at a time - just move the bed as you plunge.

So much faster that doing it with a chisel at the end. I love it. Makes me smile every time

Thats a great idea! I had to make a lot of wedged mortices on my Multico morticer so 3D printed a multi step block that gives me three set angles. It slots under the column when loosened and then tightened down. Make the angle on one side then flip either the material or wedge. Great for getting them exact!

Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 22.09.40 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

A great idea I saw on here was a taper jig for the router table to make complex/curved tapered parts. Used a similar concept on some projects recently.

In the time you spend fiddling with depth stops, fences etc, you could have got the job done with a wooden rebate plane and nothing more than gauged lines and your fingers.

LBCarpentry":xco0ktiw said:

That's my party trick! :) Although I tend to just chew off the whole 3-5mm in one go. I've only ever split one chisel, honest! :lol:

I've learned too much good stuff from here to probably mention a single individual thing, but I really appreciate how helpful the community is to anyone who needs help with practically anything even outside of woodworking because of the hugely experience diverse members we've got here. Only recently we saw a member get some seriously good legal advice on his business troubles with his partner which I really don't know where else you would get such good advice for FREE, I've had really good troubleshooting run-through when I was having motor problems off Myfordman without expecting anything at all in return.

It's a good place it is.

Get in the shed/workshop and practice far more often than coming on here.

One that jumps out for me is I had tried edge jointing several times and couldn’t work out why they were never quite right. After a quick search on here I followed the instructions in a thread by Custard ... perfect result.

Bm101":3a9rj24l said:
3 things.

Keep on going in the face of adversity because someone will help. You can only get better at playing chess by playing someone better.

That really resonates with me. Learning this stuff by self-teaching is fun, but hard, and there are many false trails (especially on YouTube). For example, I'm so glad I did my first strip-down and re-build. It was fraught but I learned a huge amount... and the second one went better.
The advice is great, and I must mention Trevanion turning up a replacement part for one I'd mashed.
In terms of my own favourite tip, a £5 investment in magnetic tape makes finding lost nuts much easier (and is great for getting rid of swarf too).

If you're working with small steel things magnetic wrist bands are brilliant -
DSCF0139.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0139.JPG
    DSCF0139.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 129

Latest posts

Back