Wetstone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lijongtao

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a wetstone to sharpen my chisels and the occasional knife.

There is a huge variety out there but I don't know what the best ones to use are and where from? I have some Irwin Marples chisels so need to look after them.

Thankyou

Pedantry in this case might be useful. Do you mean a whetstone.......which is any stone on which honing is done, or do you mean stones which are wet (ie water stones or those slow rotating wheels in a trough of water)?

Difficult question to answer really. People swear by, and at, all three. It's a very emotive subject!

The only thing is to play around until you find whatever method works for you.

Personally , and in order from least to most favourite is a waterstone (too messy) then an oil stone, and finally a diamond stone (no mess and quick). In two grades, coarse and fine. But the truth is any of them will gets things sharp enough for me personally. (Which I fully accept may not be good enough for some people)

(Having said all that I now have a tormek, and only use the diamond for honing router cutters.)

Oh, just to add. Sticking a a bit of wet and dry (of whatever grade you need) to a bit of glass gives a nice big sharpening area and is pretty cheap and simple too.

Thanks very much for the advice. If it is least messy I think in which case the diamond will suit me better. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back