wetstone sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1001

Reaction score
Please can anyone help me i am about to buy a wetsone grinder but only really to sharpen chiesels plane irons and the odd knife.ive been looking and reading reviews im torn i dont really want to spend to much but the tormek t3 seems very good but expensive and the scheppach 2000s seems alot cheaper but can it do the job does anybody here know :?:

chippy1001":16cfezc3 said:
Please can anyone help me i am about to buy a wetsone grinder but only really to sharpen chiesels plane irons and the odd knife.ive been looking and reading reviews im torn i dont really want to spend to much but the tormek t3 seems very good but expensive and the scheppach 2000s seems alot cheaper but can it do the job does anybody here know :?:

Unless you're restoring a lot of gashed up s/h tools, or have a habit of running your edges into nails, I don't see the need for powered sharpening at all, at least for bench tools. You're only restoring an edge which was worn away by wood, and in an abrasive contest between sharpeneing stones and wood, wood will always lose. (*)

In fact I do restore gashed up s/h tools, and I still haven't met an edge I can't restore in good time without resort to powered sharpening.

I do have some very vicious 60 grit AlZi glued on a flat surface though, which makes for "fairly fast" manual metal removal. :D :D

BugBear

(*) if this isn't true, you either have some remarkable wood, or need better sharpening materials.

bugbear":387jpanc said:
Unless you're restoring a lot of gashed up s/h tools, or have a habit of running your edges into nails, I don't see the need for powered sharpening at all

I used to use very coarse stones to prepare my primary bevels but now use a Tormek T7. It's so much faster - wish I'd bought it years ago.

The Scheppach will probably do the job as well but the Tormek is a better made machine, IMHO. Just depends how much you can afford.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back