Wet stone grinder accessories

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekend_woodworker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I recently bought one of theses:

bb3c51887fbb1d1798b7edf3be53aff6.jpg

It is a lot cheaper than the Tormek 10” grinder, but has some issues.

It maybe the same with the Tormek but I seem to get a lot of water over my bench when using it.

I see Tormek sell a rubber mat which might catch the worst of it, but it is over £40. What does anyone else do to catch the water, particularly when sharpening long blades?

I have been trying to re grind my planer thicknesses blades on it using a Tormek SVH 320 jig, but that has not been straight forward.

Thanks

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Tormek is the same.....I've made a small shelf and mounted the tormek on it, now only that area gets wet.
First time I used it, water went everywhere, it worried me......now 20 odd years later it's just normal.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Turn it around and use it with the wheel rotating away from the tool.

youre using it backwards.

Facing the machine, the grindwheel should be turning up in front of you and then back away from you.
The plane blade should be high above the machine with the cutting edge facing you.
There will be NO water running down the blade because the blade will be facing up.

I suspect you didnt watch the DVD that came with it? :roll: :roll:

sunnybob":hb0i7ctx said:
youre using it backwards.

I suspect you didnt watch the DVD that came with it? :roll: :roll:

Hi sunnybob,

You've mentioned a DVD. I bought this machine about 2 months ago and it didn't came with a DVD. Is it good value? Maybe I should ring Axminster and ask them if they can send one to me.

Cheers ,
Gui

weekend_woodworker":hb0i7ctx said:
Hi

I have been trying to re grind my planer thicknesses blades on it using a Tormek SVH 320 jig, but that has not been straight forward.

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark,

Did you buy a truing tool? When I first bought the machine I didn't realize that a truing tool was not include in the package. The whet grinder is pretty much useless if you can't true the stone. I've spent a bit extra money and bought a Tormek TT-50 truing tool. Works really well and super easy to get the stone flat. I've also end up buying the Tormek SE-77 straight Jig. It's miles ahead the original one and a pleasure to use.

Initially I had seconds thoughts on this machine, but after working with it for while I really like it now. It makes a bit of a mess, but if you use a rubber matt (any rubber matt) and a rag, you will be fine.

Cheers
Gui

I bought mine from axminster as a refurbished unit, but it came with a load of colour instruction manuals and a DVD. To be honest, there was so much information that I got bored watching it.
Its worth a phone call to them to see if they have any, but all the information should be online.
If not for the fact that Cyprus shut down its post office 4 weeks ago I would offer to mail it to you.

If you use it correctly, there is NO MESS AT ALL. :lol:

I did not buy the truing tool, it takes off lots of the stone each time you use it, and stones are wildly expensive. If you ever see an old pedal cranked grindstone being used it can sway back and fore like crazy, as long as the blade is pressed steadily into the stone, it makes no difference at all what shape it is.
I have no problem sharpening chisels or plane blades

Hi Gui and Sunnybob,

My grinder didn’t come with a dvd but just a colour manual. It quite clearly said that when sharpening chisels the wheel should be rotating towards the end of the blade. I agree with Gui that the straight edge jig is very poor and I bought a Tormek SE-77.

I bought a second hand Tormek svh-320, however the fundamental flaw is that the spacing of the supports for the Tormek is 90mm between centres whereas the Axminster is 100mm between centres. Why did Axminster do that? I have made an interface plate between the two which is not great as it alters the geometry a bit too much. I am contemplating drilling some more holes in the red plate at the top to accommodate the 90mm Tormek support.

The Tormek guide for the planer blades also says the wheel should be rotating towards the end of blade being sharpened. This is really wet and water goes everywhere. My beech workbench has gone grey!

I haven’t bought a stone truing tool yet. The stone seems to be staying square by using the full width when sharpening. Maybe I’ll have to look at that in due course.

Thanks

Mark

I cant comment on other makes because I dont have them. My JET instructions and pictures show to have the blade pointing towards the rotation. As I stand in front of the machine the chisel blade is pointing towards me. The handle is pointing up and away from me.The water runs about a quarter inch up the blade and then runs sideways.

There is not one drop of water ever goes outside of the trough. :roll: :roll: :lol:

Once the desired angle is achieved, a single swipe across a flat stone to remove the wire edge is all I do.

Are you sure it is not so hot in Cyprus that it just evaporated [WINKING FACE]?

I think we are both talking about the same wheel and blade alignment. The time most water goes everywhere is on long blades such as those from my planer/thicknesser or sharpening garden shears. Sharpening narrow blades such as chisels or hand planes is much less messy.

If youve got a 2 foot blade overhanging each end, then all bets are off. :roll: :lol:

There is a billion videos on YouTube. No need for a dvd.
Officially you can sharpen with the stone rotating towards you or away from you. Towards you is faster.
Only use the strop rotating away from you.

A cheap square seed tray or suchlike is good to catch the Drips, saves the bench.

Thanks the idea of a seed tray is good. I had better buy one as I will get into trouble if I nick one of my wife’s!

sunnybob":jgkuwohu said:
I bought mine from axminster as a refurbished unit, but it came with a load of colour instruction manuals and a DVD. To be honest, there was so much information that I got bored watching it.
Its worth a phone call to them to see if they have any, but all the information should be online.
If not for the fact that Cyprus shut down its post office 4 weeks ago I would offer to mail it to you.

Thanks sunnybob, I will make the phone call. Very nice of you offering to mail it to me!

Turnr77":jgkuwohu said:

That looks very good. I will try to find something similar in France. The bench will thank me later on...

Back