Wet saw horses have warped

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya

Quick question:
I left my sawhorses in the garden and they got very dry in the heat, then very wet in yesterday nights rain. They are now warped, and wobble.

They are made from 2x4 C24 (scraps, I know it's usually for framing)

My question is: will they likely return to normal when the moisture levels go back to normal, or shall I either adjust the legs or make new ones.

I can wait a few days, but not much longer cos I need to use them....

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Don't do anything to them until they have dried. Then fettle them if necessary. You absolutely will not need to make new ones......I keep my building-site horses stored outside permanently.

My suggestion for fettling them would be to flatten the tops first, then invert them on a flat reference surface (just apropos of nothing at all, and nothing whatever to do with saw horses....honest....... but granite kitchen worktops are very very flat), and mark off all the legs at the height of the lowest one. If you do the feet first on a flat surface you aren't accounting for variations in the top.

Great, thanks all. Now I know what to do!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

MikeG.":2t1oknxz said:
My suggestion for fettling them would be to flatten the tops first, then invert them on a flat reference surface (just apropos of nothing at all, and nothing whatever to do with saw horses....honest.......

Well there you go - I've learnt two things tonight thanks MikeG.
1. How to fettle a soggy saw horse
2. (More surprising) a new word - Apropos. I thought I knew the English language pretty well after nearly 59 years - but I had to look that one up! =D>

Back