Wet grinder advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm decided to buy an electric grinder but I don't know what it the least power required for our needs (to achieve bevel on plane chisel blade).
Any advice is welcome.

Cheers, Gabriele

I use a large Tormek grinder in my 'shop and haven't had any problems with it. If you sort out the number of jigs needed, almost all tools can be reground though I wouldn't recommend grinding turning tools as there is a danger that the stone will become hollow in places. The diamond jig to re-true the surface is good as is the planer blade regrinding jig - Rob

woodbloke":nxtlvdab said:
I use a large Tormek grinder in my 'shop and haven't had any problems with it. If you sort out the number of jigs needed, almost all tools can be reground though I wouldn't recommend grinding turning tools as there is a danger that the stone will become hollow in places. The diamond jig to re-true the surface is good as is the planer blade regrinding jig - Rob

Hi woodbloke,
I don't think I could afford the Tormek..if I would buy a vertical wet grinder what could be the proper power?

Cheers, Gabriele

Having had a brief trawl thru' the Axminster catalogue, I see they do their own wet grinder (p540) with a 10" stone for about £130, though I have had no experience with this machine so couldn't endorse it completely. I would also be unsure of shipping costs to Italy. The machine runs on 240v so would be OK in your part of the world. Hope this of some help - Rob

Hi Gabriele,

In the dim and distance past I seem to remember someone owning this rexon grinder (Tony or Tim I think) http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=17162 and that they were pleased with it.

At £89 the price is not to bad, but whether it will do all that you want is another story.

Whoever the person was I am sure that they will soon be along to tell you more.

Cheers

Mike

Hi,

ohh ohh :oops: perhaps I misunderstood the position on the grind wheels.. :oops: I meant this:

e96b_2.JPG

hence.. 150 or 400 or 450 Watts or..

Cheers, Gabriele

Ah...now we can see what you mean :lol: In my view with these types of grinder the wheel size is more important - go for the largest that you can (within reason) - I use a Record grinder with an 8" wheel. One of the wheels is a wider white wheel (trying saying that after one or twelve of your luverly Italian vino :lol:) which is useful for plane blades as I think they don't draw the heat quite so much - still need to be careful though. Motor power is usually adequate for the size of the wheel, generally about 350W or about 1/2 HP - Rob

woodbloke":hnfmn079 said:
Ah...now we can see what you mean :lol: In my view with these types of grinder the wheel size is more important - go for the largest that you can (within reason) - I use a Record grinder with an 8" wheel. One of the wheels is a wider white wheel (trying saying that after one or twelve of your luverly Italian vino :lol:) which is useful for plane blades as I think they don't draw the heat quite so much - still need to be careful though. Motor power is usually adequate for the size of the wheel, generally about 350W or about 1/2 HP - Rob

Many thanks woodbloke, I'll see around here what I'll find.

Cheers, Gabriele :wink:

Gabriele,

I use a 6 inch grinder to sharpen my turning tools, I do this free hand and can end up with a fairly straight bevel (i.e. not concave from the shape of the stone). If I use the grinder with a jig to do my chisels though I do get quite a concave face, so I suppose that the sharpening of turning tools is a slightly different thing.

Cheers,

Dod

Latest posts

Back