Wet/Dry Grinders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a wet/dry grinder. I'd prefer to be able to grind flat rather than hollow bevel. As I don't have any of bench grinder, either Draper 31235 or the Delta 23-710 are possibilities. Has anyone got one of these or can comment on them?

thanks

Ike

I had that Draper model and it's awful. Steer well clear if you are hoping to do plane blades on it.

It's OK as a dry grinder - on the high speed bit, and if you free-hand grind the wet bit could be OK, but I found it rubbish and bought a Tormek instead. I'd suggest either A) saving more pennies for something better or B) following what many people did here and buy a cheaper version, and make a jig.

The problems with it are:

The release of water is inconsistent.
The angle plate on the high speed bit, to set the angle flexs (badly) so you can't get a consistent angle
The plastic angle plate on the wet stone flexs, bends, moves, the plastic mitre gauge to keep the blade square is terrible, really rubbish design, the left to right tracking channel causes the whole setup to move, and the magnet for holding down the blade causes more problems than it fixes.

On the other hand, if you were prepared to make a more rigid holding device, it could be much better, and if you replaced the thin metal holder on the left hand side, with something more stable you could make it functional perhaps.

A very dissapointed Adam

[PS: I got this as a gift, which made it doubly worse for me, I've yet to find someone to give it to, and it's taking up space in my workshop as its nearly brand new, and I haven't the heart to throw it out for the reasons above.]

Adam,

What a star you are! Thanks VERY much for the tip. The Delta looks more substantial including the wet tool rest. I notice the blurb says 19kg against 9 for the Draper, so maybe it's worth a looksee. I did look over one a very long time ago in Cirencester while shopping for T/S and P/T, but I wasn't in the market for one, and can't really remember much about it other than it looked substantial. Cheaper than the Tormek 1206 as well.

Ike

Hi Ike,
I also have the Draper-leave it alone, it doesn't live up to expectations. T Delta I saw at a show earlier in the year. It looked very promising, and I was sorely tempted (except for the Delta rep who was too busy picking his nose........) Have read good reports about it, but pricewise, the smaller Tormek isn't far off and that rocks!
There was a thread on grinding plane irons on the side of the wheel (flat side that is!) recently on this site. Have a search for it, the Tormek might turn out to be what you want.
cheers,
Philly :D
(who doesn't have a Tormek- B+Q grinder, wet'n'dry and waterstones for me!)

Hi Philly,

I think some find sharpening all by hand therapeutic but not I! I don't like spending ages stoning nicks out or squaring tatty blades by hand! I'd happily fork out to have a machine do the hard work on the primary bevel and then, I'll happily finish hone them on the waterstone.

cheers for the advice,

Ike

Scheppach also do a Tormek clone, which is compatible with Tormek accesories, although it's only a few quid cheaper than a Tormek, and having half an eye out for S/H value at any time, I'd go for the Tormek every time.

The delta I'd seen before and looked like it could be quite good.

Adam

I bought one of these secondhand industrial grinders (oil cooled) for just over £100 some time ago.

Home and Workshop machinery have one for £145
Viceroy_grinder.jpg

Chris,

Funny you should mention it - I came across the very same earlier this afternoon, but didn't know exactly what it constituted, even after visiting the RJH site. Unfortunately, I don't have enough space for such a fine looking piece of kit. Maybe also a bit OTT for sharpening a small drill bit!

cheers

Ike

Pah! Five quid's worth of hand-cranked grinder and you're laughing. Infinitely variable speed, low running costs. What more could you desire? :wink: Okay, maybe forty quid's worth of grinder jig to go with it... :oops:

grinderjig.jpg

What's the issue with a hollow grind, out of interest?

Cheers, Alf

My Dad's got one of those somewhere - gathering dust. GIT powered...hmm, there's a thought.

I'm not sure it's an issue (given my limited experience of these things). I'd just assumed that as you see plane and chisel bevels sold flat ground, why not aim for the same in the workshop? I dunno really, maybe it doesn't matter?

Hasta luego,

Ike

Off the top of my head, Japanese chisels/plane irons would be the only hollow-grinding no-no as far as I can recall (but I'm not thinking very hard, to be honest :) ). For myself, I actively prefer a hollow grind because I freehand the honing stage. 'Tis a simple matter to sit the bevel on it's two high points and hone away. With a flat grind I've found it all too easy to create a convex bevel :(

Cheers, Alf

Except for the terminally anal, there is no problem with hollow grinding chisels and plane blades on a stone with the same largish diameter as a Tormek's. I prefer it on the whole as it reduces the time of the next stage - putting an edge on the blade.

I got the Viceroy grinder I showed above to speed up flattening a bunch of chisel backs and plane soles which work is thankfully now done - any one who wants the thing - and can collect it - can have it for £75

waterhead37":wnx23ozm said:
I got the Viceroy grinder I showed above to speed up flattening a bunch of chisel backs and plane soles which work is thankfully now done - any one who wants the thing - and can collect it - can have it for £75
Dammit. If only I had:
1. The room
2. The money
3. Wasn't in entirely in the wrong part of the country
:(

Cheers, Alf

With more blade and chisel backs to flatten than she cares to contemplate. :roll:

Ike,

When I was looking into buying a grinder a couple of years back I did a good bit of research and have a feeling that there were some issues with the Delta model. Don't remember exactly what the problems were although I recall that a lot of users thought the wheel far too soft and a furrow would appear at an alarming rate. I'll try and dig out the info.
I ended up buying the Tormek blue.

Rgds

Noel

waterhead37":s5rk0htu said:

That's cheap :). There's a 3-phase one on G&M for £300 !!
How flat is the stone, and is it single or 3 phase ?

The town where I live has a toolmaker who has set up a tool sharpening service,
I dropped in a high quality router bit the other day (2 years old many mortices and fast ones at that :lol: ) and was charged £4 .
That means if I took the same bit in 50 times I would have spent £200.
A Tormak with all the accessories would cost hundreds???, so if your tools need drastic service I reckon finding a service available like this is more economical.

DW,

A Tormek just doesn't stack up financially for me. Much the same as when I bought a Leigh jig (impulse) - it's a lot of money sat there. Nice, I admit, if money was no object.

Ike

I have recently seen this rexon at screwfix for £89 inclusive of VAT and carriage. Comes with 1000 grit stone

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 2&ts=75414

Rexon site shows that there are 6000 grit stones available for it too.

look under acccesories from the grinder page here
http://www.rexon.co.uk/

I looked at the draper in my local toolshop (£105) and the Rexon seems to have a far superior tool support.

I have a rexon mitre saw which cut dead-on with the lock stops straight from the box and is still spot-on after 2 1/2 years of ues. I also have a rexon grinder that I am chuffed with - seems to be pretty good kit.
Also, when i dropped my saw and smashed the laser, they sent a replacement straight out so good customer service for me.

Could be worth considering this grinder?

OK

I got the Rexon one today!

Looks great but you'll have to wait for more on it's use as I am still banned from physical suff :(

The toolrest is cast metal with loads of clamp screws with platic heads and will take a P/T blade. Looks really easy to adjust angles too with a couple of knurled adjusters.

The stone looks to me to be a shaped 1000 grit waterstone which in my book means the best sharpening stones available :) Ohh, and without the effort of your usual waterstone..

Whisper quiet when spinning (no grinding) - much quieter than my standard grindstone - or anything else in the garage come to that :)

The manual STINKS. What manual?? 8 lines on how to use it!

The water appears to run out of the top container a little slowly but then one is only supposed to 'mist' fine waterstones, not soak 'em like course ones.

No dressing stone which surprised me, but then it cost £180 less than a Tormek :) and you can't expect the same quality or accessories when spending a third of the money.

So-far-so-good.

Thanks Tony,

The Rexon had caught my eye many times - see it in almost every big tool supplier. I'd have gone for it already but held off seeing as I haven't yet a conventional bench grinder for those everyday grinding/fettling jobs. That's why I'd been looking at the Delta - you know - kill two birds with a concrete block etc. But with Alf' and Chris' comments in mind, I'm undecided again (no Chris, not that I'm the best judge, I'm NOT anal and no one's told me I am to date!).

The 6" Creusen (takes plane/drill jigs) caught my eye in Axminster. I noticed one can also get a shaft extension and hard felt wheel. If one can fabricate an additional guard/tool rest in a reverse orientation, attached to the end of the grinder, one would then have a pretty versatile all in one tool (jam jar of water not included!)! Still might be stretching my budget too far though. Hmmm, food for thought though.

Noely,

Hope you can dig out that info on the Delta.

Cheers

Ike

Back