• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Wet and dry grinding wheels.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Silfi

Established Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate advice on the use of bench grinders and wet wheels to sharpen chisels and plane irons.
Up till now I have been happy using a white (aluminium oxide?) wheel on an ordinary bench grinder and then a Scheppach wet grinding wheel. This has produced a sharpness which is OK for me, however recently both wheels have lost their 'cutting edge'and take a long time to resharpen.
I purchased a cheap block from Ebay supposedly coated with diamond particles but this has had no effect on either wheel.
How do I restore the grinding effectiveness of both wheels?

Jelly

Established Member
Reaction score
I find the Huntington dressers to be the only effective way to dress offhand grinding wheels.

I have a diamond for dressing surface and tool grinders, but the back pressure when doing that with a single point tool is well beyond what's controllable without a fixture.

J-G

Established Member
Reaction score
I only ever use a single point Diamond Dresser and always by hand and no fixture of any kind - but then I did do a full 5 year apprenticeship and learned to sharpen all manner of tools by hand - including sub 1mm Ø drills (but they are done on a diamond wheel now).

It just needs time and experience, neither of which is in great supply!

Silfi

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Sean. The block is out of stock at the moment but I have set an alert for it becoming available. Should have tried a decent quality one first!

Latest posts