Westray Craft Fair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linkshouse

Established Member
Reaction score
It's the annual craft fair on the 4th November on Westray. That seems to have come around quickly and caught me a bit unprepared. I was working on another Clydesdale and Colt intarsia which some people may have been following on my blog, but I've had to abandon that for a little while and start beavering away making bits for the fair.

Here are some of the bits I've made so far...

IMG_1438.jpg

There are some small pendants, we'll see how they go.

IMG_1452.jpg

These are laser burned and then cut out on the scroll saw. The odd shaped/burned one in the bottom centre is a depiction of the Westray Wife (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westray_Wife)

Another departure from my intarsia work, that I'm quite pleased with and hope will do well, is these dried flower vases -

IMG_1440.jpg
IMG_1441.jpg
IMG_1444.jpg

These are from the Steve Good vase book, of course, it is the wood that makes them (no pun intended).

Regards

Phill

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1440.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,067
  • IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,066
Claymore":33mqcang said:
excellent Phill, agree with ya regarding the wood its beautiful.......is it Iroko?

The dark one (largest) is Umbila (whatever that is) and Oak. The others are spalted sycamore that I cut up last year and dried in my homemade kiln for the faces and "other" wood for the middle.

Regards

Phill

Claymore":2ud8rpts said:
what about a Puffin vase Phill? made the same but shaped like a Puffin or maybe same shape vase with a Puffin cut into it?
They look great and you shouls have no problem selling them.

Hmm, that's worth exploring.

ps Ruth has just gone delivering the Intarsias and left me in charge of Rory or should that be Tasmanian Devil going by his teeth lol

We're still waiting for pics :roll:

Phill

Claymore":1rb1u0el said:
what about a Puffin vase Phill? made the same but shaped like a Puffin or maybe same shape vase with a Puffin cut into it?

Your wish is my command...

IMG_1455.jpg

Grand idea.

I've rustled up some key racks too. The puffin theme continues here.

IMG_1458.jpg

These are painted with watercolour paints and then sprayed with Chestnut Satin Lacquer.

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

Hope you like them.

Regards

Phill

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1455.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 832
  • IMG_1458.jpg
    IMG_1458.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_1457.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 832
  • IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 834
Claymore":22rxfq8p said:
Brilliant Phill
They look excellent especially the Puffin Vase lol a stroke of genius there!.

Ha ha, genius eh!

My favourite is the Horse though it looks stunning and should sell well

Hopefully, as they are pretty quick and easy. Actually, the painting takes longer as the sawing but it's something a bit different again.

Have you thought of making lamps using the vase technique maybe with LED lights or even a lamp fitting?

I fear the fittings would hike the price too much. Then there are the safety compliance requirements.

What wood is the Puffin vase? its lovely and rich colour to it

The face and back are Umbila and the sides/middle are Sycamore.

How about money boxes and clocks made using the vase technique too?

One to think on, I fear the fretworked are may be too fragile.

Aways. Isn't that the whole point :lol:

Phill

I haven't been in this section for a while, so a late comment, but I must say I really do like some of those vases Phill. Really nice looking wood (colours and grains) and lovely shapes. I guess none of them are watertight) (I DO realise the ones with the cut-outs wouldn't be)! But how about a thin epoxy coating on the insides of the others? Would it work reliably?

=D>

AES

AES":2fkkvlw4 said:
I haven't been in this section for a while, so a late comment, but I must say I really do like some of those vases Phill. Really nice looking wood (colours and grains) and lovely shapes. I guess none of them are watertight) (I DO realise the ones with the cut-outs wouldn't be)! But how about a thin epoxy coating on the insides of the others? Would it work reliably?

=D>

AES

They all have cutouts and to be honest I think it is as well as I doubt any amount of sealing would make them watertight. Having the cutouts makes it obvious (hopefully) that they are for dried flowers.

Regards

Phill

OK, thanks Phill. I must have missed the cut-outs on the last couple! (But I s'pose one could fill the vases with plastic bags before putting the water in)! :D

AES

Back