Western Red Cedar...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickds1

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to buy small quantities of Western Red Cedar as planks - typically 19mm planed x 165mm x whatever... (about 3metres) to repair some of my older beehives and to make some new beekeeping bits......

I'm in the SE in Kent

SL Hardwoods stock some (quite pricey and a bit of a trek) but I'm having trouble locating any at a reasonable price or local to me. I do have a planer-thicknesser so can do finishing & reduction if needed (say from 25mm sawn), but if there is anyone in Kent/East Sussex, preferably within a reasonable distance of Tunbridge Wells, that'd be great - delivery for such a small quantity outweighs the benefit of going much further afield...

Many thanks

Lavers couldnt get me any when I enquired. Up north it is in limited supply- lathams keep a bit, but I am not sure whether you have a branch down there.

In fact, it was so expensive to get up here, I didnt bother and will go with poly beehives rather than make my own.

If you have a Jewsons near you give them a try. I fitted 2200 m2 of cladding to an apartment block for one of the bigger housebuilders and it all came from Jewsons. Afraid I have no idea of the price though!

Does it have to be western red cedar. For bee hives I would look at using Douglas fir or larch. Probably cheaper and lasts quite well outdoors. A friends hives are just made from some pine and have lasted well.

Andrewf":2lckybcw said:
Does it have to be western red cedar. For bee hives I would look at using Douglas fir or larch. Probably cheaper and lasts quite well outdoors. A friends hives are just made from some pine and have lasted well.
...or even White Cedar, which is just as good - Rob

woodbloke":2c38mgr6 said:
Andrewf":2c38mgr6 said:
...or even White Cedar, which is just as good - Rob
I'd prefer Red as that's what the hives etc. that I'm repairing use at the moment. Bl**dy woodpeckers...

I also have a greenhouse to repair and that is also Red. However, Red or White - it's seemingly still made from unobtanium...

I guess Milton Keynes is too far for you to travel? If not the Dave Kinns Timber sell it. I bought some recently there, PSE for £35 ft3.

nickds1":1tfcwqkw said:
woodbloke":1tfcwqkw said:
nickds1":1tfcwqkw said:
... still made from unobtanium...
...and 'Avatar' was on the other evening :D - Rob
...which is an example of why Avatar is such unoriginal rubbish - the use of the word "unobtainium" goes back to the 1970's at least.
To go off topic a bit...I wouldn't say Avatar is unoriginal rubbish, the story line certainly is, but the 3D computer graphics, seen on a big screen in 3D certainly aren't - Rob

I've used Feuillus Fencing Ltd for Western Red Cedar and can highly recommend them. They are in Essex but are very reasonable with delivery costs. Speaking as bee keeper I think the additional expense of red cedar is out weighed by the increased durability it seems to offer particularly if the hives are exposed.

PeterA":33h15npp said:
I've used Feuillus Fencing Ltd for Western Red Cedar and can highly recommend them. They are in Essex but are very reasonable with delivery costs. Speaking as bee keeper I think the additional expense of red cedar is out weighed by the increased durability it seems to offer particularly if the hives are exposed.
I'm just closing up my hives - did the extraction last weekend, ApiGuard is on now so I have time to repair all the damaged stuff... once the next cycle of treatment is done (3 weeks), I'll feed them...

I really object to having to buy new parts just because some little bit is rotten - queen excluder are an example. I far prefer Cedar as we are very exposed - some of my hives are 20 years old and mostly in good nick.

Cheers

Back