Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Western Red Cedar...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

nickds1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to buy small quantities of Western Red Cedar as planks - typically 19mm planed x 165mm x whatever... (about 3metres) to repair some of my older beehives and to make some new beekeeping bits......

I'm in the SE in Kent

SL Hardwoods stock some (quite pricey and a bit of a trek) but I'm having trouble locating any at a reasonable price or local to me. I do have a planer-thicknesser so can do finishing & reduction if needed (say from 25mm sawn), but if there is anyone in Kent/East Sussex, preferably within a reasonable distance of Tunbridge Wells, that'd be great - delivery for such a small quantity outweighs the benefit of going much further afield...

Many thanks

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Lavers couldnt get me any when I enquired. Up north it is in limited supply- lathams keep a bit, but I am not sure whether you have a branch down there.

In fact, it was so expensive to get up here, I didnt bother and will go with poly beehives rather than make my own.

DeanN

Established Member
Reaction score
I used the Sheffield store to obtain mine - they had it in stock, and allowed me to pick the boards from the pallet. Stock changes frequently though!

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
must have a ride down there then Dean. I stand corrected

lincs1963

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have a Jewsons near you give them a try. I fitted 2200 m2 of cladding to an apartment block for one of the bigger housebuilders and it all came from Jewsons. Afraid I have no idea of the price though!

Andrewf

Established Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be western red cedar. For bee hives I would look at using Douglas fir or larch. Probably cheaper and lasts quite well outdoors. A friends hives are just made from some pine and have lasted well.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Andrewf":2lckybcw said:
Does it have to be western red cedar. For bee hives I would look at using Douglas fir or larch. Probably cheaper and lasts quite well outdoors. A friends hives are just made from some pine and have lasted well.
...or even White Cedar, which is just as good - Rob

nickds1

Established Member
Reaction score
woodbloke":2c38mgr6 said:
Andrewf":2c38mgr6 said:
...or even White Cedar, which is just as good - Rob
I'd prefer Red as that's what the hives etc. that I'm repairing use at the moment. Bl**dy woodpeckers...

I also have a greenhouse to repair and that is also Red. However, Red or White - it's seemingly still made from unobtanium...

flounder

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess Milton Keynes is too far for you to travel? If not the Dave Kinns Timber sell it. I bought some recently there, PSE for £35 ft3.

nickds1

Established Member
Reaction score
woodbloke":2rus9nw9 said:
nickds1":2rus9nw9 said:
... still made from unobtanium...
...and 'Avatar' was on the other evening :D - Rob
...which is an example of why Avatar is such unoriginal rubbish - the use of the word "unobtainium" goes back to the 1970's at least.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
nickds1":1tfcwqkw said:
woodbloke":1tfcwqkw said:
nickds1":1tfcwqkw said:
... still made from unobtanium...
...and 'Avatar' was on the other evening :D - Rob
...which is an example of why Avatar is such unoriginal rubbish - the use of the word "unobtainium" goes back to the 1970's at least.
To go off topic a bit...I wouldn't say Avatar is unoriginal rubbish, the story line certainly is, but the 3D computer graphics, seen on a big screen in 3D certainly aren't - Rob

PeterA

Reaction score
I've used Feuillus Fencing Ltd for Western Red Cedar and can highly recommend them. They are in Essex but are very reasonable with delivery costs. Speaking as bee keeper I think the additional expense of red cedar is out weighed by the increased durability it seems to offer particularly if the hives are exposed.

nickds1

Established Member
Reaction score
PeterA":33h15npp said:
I've used Feuillus Fencing Ltd for Western Red Cedar and can highly recommend them. They are in Essex but are very reasonable with delivery costs. Speaking as bee keeper I think the additional expense of red cedar is out weighed by the increased durability it seems to offer particularly if the hives are exposed.
I'm just closing up my hives - did the extraction last weekend, ApiGuard is on now so I have time to repair all the damaged stuff... once the next cycle of treatment is done (3 weeks), I'll feed them...

I really object to having to buy new parts just because some little bit is rotten - queen excluder are an example. I far prefer Cedar as we are very exposed - some of my hives are 20 years old and mostly in good nick.

Cheers

Latest posts