West Sussex Furniture Makers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm in the early stages of exploring the possibility of getting together a group of West Sussex furniture makers to do a bit of shared publicity and an annual exhibition (probably in Chichester). Rather like Devon furnture makers:

http://www.devonfurnituremakers.org.uk

It seems to me that as craftspeople we're generally better off when we work together to raise public awareness of what we do and to support each other. Also it might be fun.

If you make high quality bespoke or small batch furniture, live in or close to West Sussex, and would like in principle to be involved, then let me know.

It's not going to happen overnight, as I'm quite busy at the moment, but I thought I'd put feelers out and see if there's any interest.

Cheers,

Marcus.

I would be interested. I considered this idea myself. I know a few of the Devon furniture makers well if that would be any help.

Many thanks

Martin

Thanks for this, that makes six interested so far including myself. I was thinking that eight would be a more sustainable number... Perhaps it would be worth widening it to East Sussex as well?

Have you considered contacting Brendan Devitt Spooner in Angmering? He is a very approachable chap. Also, Cimitree in Harting and Horndean Furniture Workshop just over the border into Hampshire. Another avenue to recruiting support might be via the Sussex Guild who have a number of good makers. Good luck with the project, I design and make furniture myself, but not commercially.

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for this. Yes I've contacted the makers in the Sussex guild, a couple of whom have shown interest. Hadn't occurred to me to approach the bigger workshops, I was thinking more of the one or two man bands who could do with the mutual support....

I hadn't come across of Bert or Katie, so many thanks - that's very helpful. I'll drop them a line.

Back