Welsh dresser, skip wood, hand tools only

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":36zafv15 said:
thomashenry":36zafv15 said:
.........But I'm very happy and feel pretty chuffed to have turned some old scrap roofing timber into what I think is a nice bit of furniture without machines (well I did cheat and use a hand sander briefly... plus a cordlss drill driver to do the holes for the shelves, I don't have an egg spinner).

You've every right to be proud. That's a grand job, well done. Yes, I'd have looked for some mouldings and curved bits to make it look less modern, but learning design lessons is a lifelong thing. I'll get one right one day! I'm not convinced by Osmo Raw, but we never get to see a piece of furniture 2 years on. That's the telling thing, not what it looks like on completion.

Oh, and do those knobs and catches now, pronto. If you leave them, you'll never come back to it.........says Mike, whose kitchen corner cupboard still hasn't got a catch on it 4 years after it was built.

4 years that's nothing!! Only an issue when it gets to 10 :D Thanks for the kind words. I have the possibility of at least putting a moulding on the countertop edge, and changing the architrave at the top, if I do decide at some point that I want it to look less modern.

thomashenry":lv3p009o said:
.....I was arguing with my brother about this! :) What shrinkage would there be? The width of the shelves and the dresser top are all dictated by long grain wood?

The thickness of the vertical sides. Add in a little twist and I can see the shelf getting a little wobbly. It'd never get loose enough to fall. Also, as wood shrinks holes get bigger, to the wire may become a little looser in the holes. I would simply leave the wire with a bow, so that it was sprung a little. It would then take up any minor shrinkage or other movement.

thomashenry":3lje3wjx said:
Of course, I've not been making only a dresser these past few weeks.... I've also been busy making sacks of wood shavings...

Untitled by Tom D, on Flickr

I wonder if these are of any use to anyone.... :?:

I've discovered targeted fire, recently. We have a large garden, and in those corners where weeds get out of control you can spread shavings like that (or from a planer), just an inch or two thick over the entire area you want clear, then set fire to them. They kill off the weeds nicely, with no collateral damage.

MikeG.":20x0z5ms said:
thomashenry":20x0z5ms said:
Of course, I've not been making only a dresser these past few weeks.... I've also been busy making sacks of wood shavings...

I've discovered targeted fire, recently. We have a large garden, and in those corners where weeds get out of control you can spread shavings like that (or from a planer), just an inch or two thick over the entire area you want clear, then set fire to them. They kill off the weeds nicely, with no collateral damage.

Once I did this the hedge caught fire and I was moments away from calling the Fire Brigade. What I learnt was (i) do a little at a time (ii) don't do it at the end of the longest dry spell of the year and (iii) have a hose pipe ready just in case.

I think that is excellent work, for what my view it is worth. You were quite right to go for the bits without the knots for the doors.

Maybe I would have put a modest cornice on it, and a bigger base (some sort of plinth type thing). But that is personal taste.

As for your shavings: we stuff them into lavatory roll inners or tightly rolled newspaper and use them as fire lighters. But we have 4 open fires and two stoves, so we get through a lot. I’m told by those that know better than me that pine shavings are of relatively little use in the garden. Presumably they would compost down eventually.

A beautiful piece of bespoke furniture with little or no cost. Well done mate, you should be proud =D>

thomashenry":2ajjk8z1 said:

I burn them in my workshop. We have a wood burners in there. They burn well

Back