well they burn wood, so wood related......?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that looks amazing.

my wife is gluten intolerant and has been buying gluten free bread, but it’s awful, on holiday this week we tried sourdough from a bakery near to our holiday cottage - and she seems fine with it so want to give it a go.

is there a website you have used for information about sourdough ?
There are hundreds. It depends a lot on finding one that suits you. I like this guy’s YouTube channel. He’s a bit geeky but he really cuts to the issue. (I don’t know how to link to a channel so it’s just a random link to one of his vids). I’m not surprised your wife finds sourdough more tolerable. Good flour (organic and stoneground as a minimum) and a long ferment produce bread that’s significantly different to industrially produced bread, and many people, including me, find it much less irritant to their digestion.

OMG You guys in England! Well almost. I could really move to a small village like the one Dave Charlsworth lived in. We used to joke that a decent loaf of bread is soft inside but hard enough outside to assault someone with a a loaf. There are dozens of receipes from the old world. Done by bakers who wake up before the chickens. The smell of of fresh bread from a wood oven. The crackling sound at 4:00 AM. A slice of warm bread, a dallop of marmalade jam and butter with real coffee reading the paper. Remember those? When done, they recycled by a fish and chips vendor. In alaska they used to have special tins that you kept close to your body. In it, you kept your starter for baking. You keep adding stuff each time you bake to keep it alive and going. The biscuits done old school in a dutch oven are killer. Roast moose, brown gravy and biscuits. Only thing better is nice back strap steak from an elk or moose, touched up with a bit of salt, pepper and garlic. And then there is xmas. A nice prime rib roasted medium rare using the old english method with yorkshire puddings.

Now I understand why I have a grey bread. I am a throwback to another era. When furniture was solid wood, sawdust was used for the chickens and not melamine, food was real food, knew everyone in the town and marriages were for life, thru the good times and the bad times. And sunday was a day off not by your bosses decree but from a higher order. OMG I have become like my father and all those old english crankers who taught me what I know. God I miss thise old fogies!

And who hear knows what an egg cup is? As a young tike in germany, I remember my aunt going to the market before breakfast. There was the tiny baker who had that mornings bread and rolls ready to go. Then we went next door. A shop slapped together with corrugated sheet metal. There were baskets of warm brown eggs. Laid that night... some still had a bit of straw attached to the shells. Your fridge was small so you could not hold a month worth of food in cardboard boxes with microwave instructions. Soda was a luxury. It came in glass litre bottles with a ceramic cap that latched to the bottle. Made with real fruit juice and real sugar. Auntie was certainly no hollywood stick model but NO ONE CARED. Weight watchers were us little kids looking at full figured ladies... not cardboard boxes of food delievered by UPS on subscriptions. You didnt need a degree in chemical engineering to read the ingredients list.

Here in the states, my small town had a local food market. When you wanted chicken meat, you often ordered it from Ron Brodie who owned Brodie Market. A day or two later, the butcher held up a couple of chickens and said, How Do these look? Big yellow skinned hens full of meat. Not those pigeons we see in the market today. AND THE ORANGE FEET WERE STILL ATTACHED! Mom would make a huge pot of german chicken soup. Nothing has ever beat that!

Today, we buy hamburger in long plastic rolls. Its often slimy and grey in color. More than once, its been recalled after we ate it. Yet another ecoli contamination. People are so lazy now that we buy our salid in plastic boxes that I struggle with to figure out how to open. Your dressing comes in tiny plastic envelopes you have tear open. Those goofy white cubes may at one time have been chickens but I dont know. They may have figured out how to use life support systems to grow a slab of synthetic chicken meat substitute for all I know.

And how many kitchens have you guys worked on that never get used? All high end modern materials, melamine boxes and stone counter tops. Every applicance known to mankind in stainless steel. And dont forget the garbarge disposal. Whats up with that darn thing. We used to feed the scraps, chicken meat and all, to our chickens. The chickens absolutely loved us. Human food was what those hens lived for. Is that not the true essence of being green? Your waste food comes back as large, fresh brown eggs that are so much different than those things they sell in the market with weak barely yellow yolks that dont hold together and runny, snot like whites.

And then we listen to egg factory folks talking about feed to production ratios. They didnt want to produce brown eggs as all brown egg layers come from large, meaty breeds that are distined for the oven or soup pot when their laying days are over. Farm boys eat a lot so a skinny leg horn chicken aint going to cut it. Brown eggs were always better because they came off the farm and not the factory where they stack hens in cages a few meters high. Where hens never see the sun or a blade of green grass.

But its all good. Its all in the name of modern life improvements. Runny eggs and Ikea. Dont we all love the modern world we live in?

And who hear knows what an egg cup is? As a young tike in germany, I remember my aunt going to the market before breakfast. There was the tiny baker who had that mornings bread and rolls ready to go. Then we went next door. A shop slapped together with corrugated sheet metal. There were baskets of warm brown eggs. Laid that night... some still had a bit of straw attached to the shells. Your fridge was small so you could not hold a month worth of food in cardboard boxes with microwave instructions. Soda was a luxury. It came in glass litre bottles with a ceramic cap that latched to the bottle. Made with real fruit juice and real sugar. Auntie was certainly no hollywood stick model but NO ONE CARED. Weight watchers were us little kids looking at full figured ladies... not cardboard boxes of food delievered by UPS on subscriptions. You didnt need a degree in chemical engineering to read the ingredients list.

Here in the states, my small town had a local food market. When you wanted chicken meat, you often ordered it from Ron Brodie who owned Brodie Market. A day or two later, the butcher held up a couple of chickens and said, How Do these look? Big yellow skinned hens full of meat. Not those pigeons we see in the market today. AND THE ORANGE FEET WERE STILL ATTACHED! Mom would make a huge pot of german chicken soup. Nothing has ever beat that!

Today, we buy hamburger in long plastic rolls. Its often slimy and grey in color. More than once, its been recalled after we ate it. Yet another ecoli contamination. People are so lazy now that we buy our salid in plastic boxes that I struggle with to figure out how to open. Your dressing comes in tiny plastic envelopes you have tear open. Those goofy white cubes may at one time have been chickens but I dont know. They may have figured out how to use life support systems to grow a slab of synthetic chicken meat substitute for all I know.

And how many kitchens have you guys worked on that never get used? All high end modern materials, melamine boxes and stone counter tops. Every applicance known to mankind in stainless steel. And dont forget the garbarge disposal. Whats up with that darn thing. We used to feed the scraps, chicken meat and all, to our chickens. The chickens absolutely loved us. Human food was what those hens lived for. Is that not the true essence of being green? Your waste food comes back as large, fresh brown eggs that are so much different than those things they sell in the market with weak barely yellow yolks that dont hold together and runny, snot like whites.

And then we listen to egg factory folks talking about feed to production ratios. They didnt want to produce brown eggs as all brown egg layers come from large, meaty breeds that are distined for the oven or soup pot when their laying days are over. Farm boys eat a lot so a skinny leg horn chicken aint going to cut it. Brown eggs were always better because they came off the farm and not the factory where they stack hens in cages a few meters high. Where hens never see the sun or a blade of green grass.

But its all good. Its all in the name of modern life improvements. Runny eggs and Ikea. Dont we all love the modern world we live in?
I'm sorry to put a sad face but it was meant to signify the the loss of a way of life AND conversely the way we are all going .NOT a comment on the article which I obviously totally agree with.

Back