• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

"Well Known Member"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else find these titles a little silly and trivial, if not annoying?

Couldn't we do away with them entirely, or maybe just have "New Member" up until the new qualifying post count for the For Sale section, whatever that gets set at, and then nothing after that? To have absolutely everyone in the same category, Well Known Member, is completely pointless. We're not a bunch of teenagers here who get any kicks out of jumping up to the next category on post count.

PAC1

Journeyman
Reaction score
I agree at least previously there were mildly amusing names that at least informed you if people were new or had been here donkeys years.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
I think it's critically important to have some system of differentiating people and grading them as if we worked for HR in a large organisation. Because we are all determined to get promoted to the next level.

I think at a minimum we should have:
Serious wood mangler
Professional wood mangler
Knows SFA about wood mangling
Argumentative wood manger
Off topic all the time wood mangler
Head sharpening expert
Deputy sharpener
Proper mod
Biased mod
Tool collector
Wannabe wood mangler

Reaction scores should be star rated and should be supplemented by an ambivalence rating and a "this blokes a ." score. Keeps everything balanced.

I am on my coffee break. About to go to the tip. For which, top encourage fly tippers, you now have to make an appointment at least a week ahead. You can only have two a month....

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Because of lockdown fly tipping the council started putting skips in regular flytipping spots. Smart idea. For a five year old. Now the skips are all overflowing and even people who probably wouldn't dream of it normally see it as 'officially condoned' and it's not that unusual to see Volvo driving 2.4 kids in hunter wellies chucking all their ßh#t by the side of the lanes now.
'Ohhhh DOOO hurry up Sylvia and make an effort. We have a whole old kitchen to fly tip. Chop chop or we'll miss The Archers on the drive home.'
Madness.

I'm all for nicknames and I too think they should be more invested.
I'd like mine to read 'off topic posting champion. Cr#p woodworker. Likes the peace and quiet in the shed though'

That would work

Established Member
Reaction score
Or
Sharpening newbie
Aspiring diamond plate user
Waterstone wa_ _ e _
Tormek torturer
Stroppy git
Oilstone oik
Fully fledged sharpening system addict

Alex H

Established Member
Reaction score
On another forum, which uses visually similar software (appears to be the same from the text at the bottom of the screen) , we can change that particular description to anything we like. 😊

Dr Al

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
On another forum, which uses visually similar software (appears to be the same from the text at the bottom of the screen) , we can change that particular description to anything we like. 😊
Looks like you can on this forum too (under "Custom title" in the Account details page)

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
As I currently have no income as such other than what Boris deems I can have while being ill. Can I just pay as you go and have a letter appear each time?

I would like it to eventually read:
"Has finally been able to scrounge up enough to pay for this announcement"

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I think in the grand scheme of things a silly title is fairly low down on the list of priorities ;-)

But if I were to have one it would probably be "Can't re-member" ;-)

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
I have contemplated subscribing. But decided to wait to see the direction of travel of this forum, moderation policy etc.

So for this purpose I have decided I come from Yorkshire. For now.

(This is perfectly sensible. If men can decide that they are really women, or wish to be known as "them", then I can decide where I was born)