well I'll have a go at rustic too..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Had an odd lump of spalted cherry not quite big enough for a 'normal' bowl so thought I'd try a bowl with the skin left on...
a bit punky in places but some lovely grain.
360 here
Question - how do you get the accidentally put on wax polish off the barky bits?

rusticdsc00476.jpg

rusticdsc00462.jpg

nev":46nk3250 said:
Had an odd lump of spalted cherry not quite big enough for a 'normal' bowl so thought I'd try a bowl with the skin left on...
a bit punky in places but some lovely grain.
Question - how do you get the accidentally put on wax polish off the barky bits?

With a stiff brush!! Carefully if the bark is at all loose.

Lovely looking bowl and right up my street. I have a stiff shoe brush which I use. As Gus suggests this works well. Any awkward bits work at them with the lathe stationary. If you have loose bark carefully put runny CA glue down the cracks, it will stiffen the bark and mix with the dust etc to make a tight bond.

Pete

Good on you Nev. a lovely bowl by all accounts . And you have got the thumbs up from Mr. Rustic himself Pete (Bodrighy) . A true Rusticano . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nev's bowl does look rustic for sure, not certain if this qualifies in the same bracket, it looks rustic to me though, in a kind of well looked after fashion. What do you think?

392Elm_1sm.jpg

719Elm_4sm.jpg

Yep! I'd say that falls into rustic, a good looking nicely shaped bowl =D> . The photography is a lot better than mine too :(
Mine would definitely hold more soup though :wink:

You pinched my bit of cherry :wink: :lol:

Attachments

• S7001676_edited.jpg
    S7001676_edited.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 794
  • S7001677_edited.jpg
    S7001677_edited.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 794
  • S7001678_edited.jpg
    S7001678_edited.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 794
Well.... as e are all crashing this 'ere thread, I though I'd show you what rustic actually means 8)

Fig.... wet.....was a bowl.....is now a plate :shock: The socket on the back is 55mm in one direction and 75mm in the other. It appears to have moved a bit.

Attachments

• 100_3924.jpg
    100_3924.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 734
  • 100_3927.jpg
    100_3927.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 733
Fig, is that the wood? I have never seen Fig before. It's nice, if a little warped :wink:

KimG":2cgac3y3 said:
Fig, is that the wood? I have never seen Fig before. It's nice, if a little warped :wink:

I hadn't seen fig before either and was keen to see how it turned wet. The answer turned out to be DON'T, under any circumstances. You will be sorry and regret it for the rest of your turning life. It moves, splits, warps, tangos, you name it.

The pot below now has two inserts in the base, one is 5cm wide and one is 3cm. I think I am correct in saying that the circumference of what was a 175mm wide pot has spread by 8cm - thats quite a lot. There are a few threads of wood hanging on around the top.

Sorry to drag the same old pic out everyone but relative newcomers like Kim won't have had the pleasure.

Attachments

• 100_3293.jpg
    100_3293.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 723
Thanks for that Gordon! The big bowl? pot? looks almost carnivorous in a little shop of horrors fashion. :D

KimG":1tvfhjk0 said:
Thanks for that Gordon! The big bowl? pot? looks almost carnivorous in a little shop of horrors fashion. :D

Aha, my favourite film. I remember seeing the stage play (rather before the film came out) and it ended with the entire stalls audience (I was in the gods) having green tendrils dropped on them from the ceiling. Several screams were heard. The play, like the original ending for the film, had our friendly plant on the winning side :cry:

The 'pot' was nicked by my wife as a plant holder but as it spread, it was returned for treatment. Its got a huge jubilee clip round it now. It doesn't appear to have spread any more so I think I will let it out of its straight jacket and see how it looks.

Latest posts

Back