"Well, I woke up this mornin'..."

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No.
Not the usual blues opening line.
The curse on the House of Cozzer - the Nationwide Building Society - is no more.
From this morning, I am mortgage free!
Hi Cozzer,
I joined the Club officially on 1st April. From the Nationwide as well.

I got a snotty letter saying my deal was up and that they would commence charging me much more interest. This was in early March when my fixed rate deal ended on 31/3. They gave me loads of expensive options to continue with a mortgage, but non to pay it off. I gave them a call, and they let me know that as I was in the last month of my deal, no penalties would be incurred if I paid it off. So i simply paid off the balance. I'd been saving like mad for about 3 years to get the cash. It was a nice feeling.

IMG-20220807-WA0000.jpeg

What mortgage!!

Well i woke up this morning and

lucille was not in sight

the most beautiful girl

standing at the cross roads

when I woke up today

there's a starter o_O

Makes a change from goin' down Mexico way to shoot my ol' lady.....

I managed to get a copy of the title deeds. Was very interesting to read the history of the house and owners over the years. Built in 1875, we are only the 4th owners.

Spurred on by our recent chat about deeds, I did actually log on to the Land Registry site last night, getting ready to cope with all the gobbledegook as is usually found on a gov.uk site.
I appreciate that they are dealing with "the past" most of the time, but wouldn't you have thought that in this day and age they would've been able to cope with card payments?!
Nope.
Payments by cheque or postal order only!

I can't remember when I last issued a cheque, let alone know where the book is!

I appreciate that they are dealing with "the past" most of the time, but wouldn't you have thought that in this day and age they would've been able to cope with card payments?!
Nope.
Payments by cheque or postal order only!
That's pretty shocking. Like you, I haven't used any cheques for years.

We have been mortgage free for a long time -- did things a bit different, we did a self build starting in 1967 with a 3 stage mortgage, 1st payment at wall plate level, 2nd when the roof was on and the final when finished-- by the time the final payment was available we had paid for everything [still things to do mind ! ] so decided not to take it. worked flat out for the next few years, lots of overtime plus starting a family and paid the balance of in about 1974'ish

As far as the Land registry is concerned my advice is BEWARE and keep your deeds, all this electronic stuff will end in tears ! A short resume of something that happened to us, we own some land with a private road/track for access to it and the adjoining land owned by others, we received a notice from the council it was to be made into a Bridleway - no negotiation no pre warning, the move was instituted by the British horse Society [ Long story here] The problem with Bridleways is broadly they cannot be use by motorised vehicles ! WHAT how are we to access our land ? Fortunately I have the original deeds and part of the road is shown as being owned by my section and we are responsible for its maintenance which we already do, thus proving it IS a private road. No mention of any of this on the Land Registry files ??? Keep your deeds !

We have been mortgage free for a long time -- did things a bit different, we did a self build starting in 1967 with a 3 stage mortgage, 1st payment at wall plate level, 2nd when the roof was on and the final when finished-- by the time the final payment was available we had paid for everything [still things to do mind ! ] so decided not to take it. worked flat out for the next few years, lots of overtime plus starting a family and paid the balance of in about 1974'ish

As far as the Land registry is concerned my advice is BEWARE and keep your deeds, all this electronic stuff will end in tears ! A short resume of something that happened to us, we own some land with a private road/track for access to it and the adjoining land owned by others, we received a notice from the council it was to be made into a Bridleway - no negotiation no pre warning, the move was instituted by the British horse Society [ Long story here] The problem with Bridleways is broadly they cannot be use by motorised vehicles ! WHAT how are we to access our land ? Fortunately I have the original deeds and part of the road is shown as being owned by my section and we are responsible for its maintenance which we already do, thus proving it IS a private road. No mention of any of this on the Land Registry files ??? Keep your deeds !

Interesting story. I've experienced two similar "officialdom" problems over the years - one happened to me, the other to my parents back in the mid-60's.
My instance concerned my last move - at the eleventh hour before exchanging contracts, we were informed that our house leaseholder hadn't been aware of a double-storey extension which had been erected, and demanded retro-payment of about £300. Bear in mind that the extension had been built by a previous owner - i.e. not even us! - but we'd had no problems buying it 20 years earlier!
Checking with solicitors, it turned out that they only have to keep certain types of documents for a certain number of years - don't quote me, but 12 rings a bell - and there was nothing we could do.
We had to fork out £300, otherwise our next move wouldn't have been able to proceed....

My parents case concerned a new build bungalow. The building got held up for almost a year because of a "right of way" and the Footpaths Society. It boiled down to anybody would be able to walk across the garden, in the back door and out of the front because of the routing! Ended up in a court case, and some ruling that a new route could deviate, but still had to have the same start and end point.
It was on a whole new road of bungalows, with all the others occupied and settled in...."ours" was still at foundations level!

So yes! I intend to get the deeds!

Interesting stories, so I'll add my own.

After living in the property for over 20 yrs, a move was on the cards.

After sale agreed etc, etc. The solicitor asked me to call in as there was a problem.

Turns out I had lived in the house all those years and didn't own the access. my 0.4 of an acre was totally surrounded by land owned by someone else.

Luckily it was the same solicitor who had handled the purchase, so I asked why he hadn't picked up on it then.

Obviously he had no valid answer, so I told him the problem was his, not mine and let me know when he had sorted it.

And that's what he did.

Interesting stories, so I'll add my own.

After living in the property for over 20 yrs, a move was on the cards.

After sale agreed etc, etc. The solicitor asked me to call in as there was a problem.

Turns out I had lived in the house all those years and didn't own the access. my 0.4 of an acre was totally surrounded by land owned by someone else.

Luckily it was the same solicitor who had handled the purchase, so I asked why he hadn't picked up on it then.

Obviously he had no valid answer, so I told him the problem was his, not mine and let me know when he had sorted it.

And that's what he did.

It's a bloody minefield!
We had no option but to cough up the £300, as it was literally 48 hours before completion. The leaseholder - some gash outfit in London - refused phone calls or personal visits....everything done by fax/bank transfer only. My argument was that for all we knew, the previous occupants had genuinely sought/gained permission all those years before, but without paper evidence - and no bloody help from the solicitors - our hands were tied.

I bought my first Bungalow in 1961 cost £2,600 Living with her parents and both working we saved £1000 in a year a lot of money in them days but it helped us no end I erned £5 a week £ 3 house keeping food and every thing £2 morgage. That same Bungalow has just sold for £285,000 and we are looking to move from Scotland back to Yorkshire to get what we have up here we are looking at around £330,000 Times have changed.

My father built and sold bungalows for £999 in about 1959. £200,000 now.

In a nearby seaside village there were new houses built in the early '70s that were marketed for £3000 - many were unsold for a year or two. They are now £300,000+.

Kind of related, the bank I put up with has an option to view your credit score in their app. Having always been dubious about credit score, I decided to have a look. I am marked DOWN for not having a mortgage (paid off when I was 40). Couldn't believe that these awful credit score things actively promote being in debt, and continuing to have that debt. I know for some it's the last resort, and I'm lucky to not need it, but it's just wrong to normalise & "score" higher by being in more debt. Disgraceful.

Oops, that turned in to a bit of a rant!

I have no idea what is the point of having a good credit score (unless I wanted to borrow money or get a dozen or so credit cards) and according to the tv ads by logging into one site or another they can improve it. How?
As leisurefix says no mortgage you might have a bad score and how on earth does that affect me? It doesn't!

No.
Not the usual blues opening line.
The curse on the House of Cozzer - the Nationwide Building Society - is no more.
From this morning, I am mortgage free!
paid off mine that i had with the halifax some 40 years ogo only to find they had credited about £350 to my account that was not mine,nobody noticed the error till final accounting, this left us without food money for wife and 3 kids for the week

Credit scores are nothing to do with your ability to pay but how reliably the commercial loansharks can squeeze as much as possible out of you and you bending over an taking it

Back