Well foot tools.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Say a treadle fret saw at the CBS today. all cast iron, I wish I'd asked how much it was, but as I don't have even an inch or space to keep it, walked straight past. As it was a WVM (white van man) i.e. a trader, if anyones interested I can look again in a week or two. can't think there is much market in such things.

A

asleitch":1vnt8oay said:
can't think there is much market in such things.

Hi Adam

I've got to agree with you. It's very cheap to get into fretwork nowadays - I noticed Screwfix have an electric scroll saw for £35 on page 335 of their latest catalogue. Of course, you can't expect the performance of, say, a Hegner but if people get bitten by the bug they'll upgrade in due course.

Why should anyone want to learn how to use a treadle and cut wood simultaneously when variable speed scrollsaws are now so readily available and take up little space :?: I should imagine that treadle saws are strictly for c*ll*ct*rs nowadays, not productive woodworkers.

Yours

Gill

Oooo Gill, may-you-be-forgiven...

But you're probably right. I think there's a very limited market for these, and like Adam most people don't have the room. And why would you bother when you can get a bench top model you can put away when you're not using it? (Mind you, I did see a hand cranked bench top model just before Christmas, so it's not impossible) Plus there's always the risk that they won't accept the standard size of blade available now. 'Course I'm not a betting woodworker, but 100 to 1 it was a Hobbies saw, so common as muck to boot. Nothing actually wrong with muck mind, at the right price... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Who did email about a rather lovely treadle fret saw on the 'Bay that was "helpfully" pointed out on this very site, but never heard back. Oh well.

Well I've got one of the cheap scroll saws from screwfix, bought on special offer £29.95. :D
It was bought for smaller son to use for making bases for war gaming models, it lives in my workshop so I have been using it. I don't "DO" scroll work, I am using it as a cheap bandsaw substitute and it cuts curves very nicely even in 3/4" iroko. :lol:

Alf, sorry about the treadle but I saw it and thought of you :oops:

Hi folks

This thread reminds of my first fretsaw, a little Spiralux which operated magnetically so you could press your hand against the blade when it was switched on without cutting yourself :!: Okay, it's been retired to the loft because it could only cut plywood about 10mm thick, but it was a wonderful introduction to woodworking for someone who didn't have much confidence around power tools.

Has anyone else ever encountered one of these little beasties?

Yours

Gill

It sounds similar to the tool they use to remove the plaster cast after you have broken a bone. It looks like a large saw, but only oscillates about 1mm maximum travel, which is less than the elasticity of the skin. As they cut through the plaster, and eventually it touches the skin, instead of cutting in, it merely "vibrates" the skin at the same frequency as the saw. Very clever.

Aaaah :) ! So that's how it works! I always wondered.
Thanks, Adam.

Yours

Gill

Back