Weldmesh wanted - Aylesbury

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Ideas gratefully received - I'm after a piece of weldmesh to put on the inside of my garage window, as a theft deterrent. I've tried all sorts of places (including the interweb) but can't find anyone to sell me some.

Anyone know where I could buy a piece? Needs to be 47"x31". Exact size of the holes is unimportant.

Many thanks

p.s. I'm not after chicken wire, but something more substantial, say 4mm thick upwards

I have used a place called JT Wirecloth in the past for mest. They are very helpful.

Not sure if the size will be an issue- not to supply but to get it to you.

F.H. Brundle, who have a website, may be able to deliver to your area.
Most weldmeshes do not conform to insurance standards though, so it will be just a deterant.
No jobbing fabricators in your area?

Try going onto a builders forum (Screwfix etc) and try there, you may get some concrete reinforcing/floor mesh.

Andy

Not sure if it would work in your application, but in the past I have made a simple frame to attach to the inside of the window opening and drilled holes through the horizontal sections, then when fitting I pushed steel bars through the holes to make a barred window.

Try a Jewsons/Build Centre - they usually stock various steel/ ss steel meshes for concrete reinforcement

could you not put a security film on the glass that will stop it from smashing. It may not act as a deterrant as much as mesh, but the average criminal would know how to cut through or remove most of the meshes anyhow.

Brundles is the place to go for mesh, but probably need to buy a sheets worth, the smaller the gaps, the dearer it would be generally speaking.

This is one of our local mesh suppliers, that have an online shop-
http://www.dyersmetalmesh.co.uk/

Either that, or try a few local fabrication firms, someone has probably got a half sheet kicking about of something suitable.
Had loads of 2" 8g mesh kicking about at work back along.

Thanks all.

I appreciate that this won't prevent a very determined thief, I just want something visible that'll encourage a casual thief to choose an easier target elsewhere.

I like that anti-smash film, may use that as well.

p.s. I also like that idea re the bars - not suitable to this window, but I'll be bearing it mind for the future.

Search your local canal or river for an abanded supermarket trolley and get your disc cutter out, after getting permission from the owner of course. :wink:

Hi DM,

Why not make some interior shutters from floorboard? Hinge them at the top, and put bolts at the bottom, on each side. It's easy enough to swing them up out of the way, and hold in place with hooks and chains while you're working. Lower down and bolt, when you lock up.

They will 'advertise' that there is something inside that is 'desirable', but getting through 18mm floorboard isn't going to be quick, easy, or quiet.
HTH :)

Latest posts

Back