weird electricity consumption.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't work with economy 7......

As Slavedata said,...they do now !

I have had an ongoing problem with my meter/supplier at my business premises for 2 years......
It's a very long and very frustrating story that I wont bore you with but needless to say, it has been to do with a Smart meter installation change that my energy supplier informed me they needed to undertake.
I have storage heaters in my Showroom and it took 3 different meter swops until they finally fitted one that works with the storage heaters.

However,.....Even taking the recent increases in the cost of energy into account,....my kWh usage has appeared to increase, even though I'm not using anymore power than I was prior to the initial meter swop 2 years ago....I'm not running any extra appliances or tools/ machinery than I was back then.

My conclusion thus far,.....Smart meters are only advantageous to the service provider, not the end user !!!!

Last edited:
Smart meters do work with Economy 7 I have one.

Curious, as the chap who changed my meter came to fit a smart meter found I was on e7 and told me I couldn't have one anyway whether I wanted it or not. Might have been a different meter? I'd have thought the main purpose of them is to introduce infinitely variable charging.

Your Octopus tariff is "Agile"?

Curious, as the chap who changed my meter came to fit a smart meter found I was on e7 and told me I couldn't have one anyway whether I wanted it or not. Might have been a different meter? I'd have thought the main purpose of them is to introduce infinitely variable charging.

Your Octopus tariff is "Agile"?

As I said, ....it took a number of attempts before they finally came up with a meter that actually worked as a replacement for the E7 meter.
I had a total of 4 different meter engineers turn up at my premises before they finally managed to get it all working.

One of the annoying things was, the meter that they initially removed was also a Smart meter ( 1st generation according to them ) and they told me I had to have a 2nd generation meter fitted......This is when the problem started.

They even tried telling me there was " obviously " something wrong with my storage heaters,..... even though the heaters had been working perfectly well prior to their initial meter change.
I had no heating at all for 5 months from Oct 2020 until March 2021. No amount of phone calls or emails to them seemed to make any difference and I was just passed from pillar to post.....In the end, I cancelled my Diirect Debit with them and finally, they took action and installed a Smart meter that was compatible with my heaters. I did end up with compensation from the energy supplier due to the hassle they had put me through but only after I had threatened to go to the ombudsman.....

Edit.
One thing that struck me after talking to all these so called meter " Engineers" was, their lack of knowledge as to why the meters they kept installing would not work, even though every one of them had assured me it would now do so...!!!!

Last edited:
As I said, ....it took a number of attempts before they finally came up with a meter that actually worked as a replacement for the E7 meter.
I had a total of 4 different meter engineers turn up at my premises before they finally managed to get it all working.

One of the annoying things was, the meter that they initially removed was also a Smart meter ( 1st generation according to them ) and they told me I had to have a 2nd generation meter fitted......This is when the problem started.

They even tried telling me there was " obviously " something wrong with my storage heaters,..... even though the heaters had been working perfectly well prior to their initial meter change.
I had no heating at all for 5 months from Oct 2020 until March 2021. No amount of phone calls or emails to them seemed to make any difference and I was just passed from pillar to post.....In the end, I cancelled my Diirect Debit with them and finally, they took action and installed a Smart meter that was compatible with my heaters. I did end up with compensation from the energy supplier due to the hassle they had put me through but only after I had threatened to go to the ombudsman.....

Edit.
One thing that struck me after talking to all these so called meter " Engineers" was, their lack of knowledge as to why the meters they kept installing would not work, even though every one of them had assured me it would now do so...!!!!
I agree with your final comment. Many of the meter fitters are not skilled in the sense of having a broad technical training. They do a short, job specific training course but have no in depth technical training. If things run outside the norm they are scuppered. The guy that fitted my SMETS2 electric meter (a contractor on behalf of Octopus) had been a floor layer. Interestingly, he was authorised to break the seal on the incomer to isolate the property whereas time served, experienced and fully qualified electricians are not! The gas side of this new meter doesn’t function and they have no idea. The SMETS1 meter worked ok! John

Back