weird electricity consumption.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have gas central heating and hot water, never use the immersion heater. No electric showers.

Just checked my electricity usage, average of 9.94 kWh per day over the last two years. That includes, cooker, kettle, fridge, freezer, tumble drier, toaster, Fan heater (occasional use) led lighting, power tools, tv etc. Two of us in the house.

Gas usage on hot water seems to be 1.43 m3 per day or 16 kWh per day. Given there is boiler efficiency to take in to account, that probably equates to about 13.5 kWh equivalent electricity usage. I do not have a smart gas meter so there may possibly be some central heating in this figure.

Last edited:
My last month was 212 units by night and 527 units by day.
Phil, making the comparison to my daily usage (see my above post)

You, 17.6 day, 7.1 night, total 24.7
Me, 10.0 “day”, 13.5 “night”, total 23.5

Our total usage is similar. My “day” is total electricity usage and “night” is hot water to give an approximate comparison to your pattern of usage. Given that you run washing machines and dishwasher at night, it suggests that your day and night is the wrong way round.

Regards your hot water cylinder, is it a single or twin immersion heater and do you easily run out of hot water? Reason I ask is that mine has two, not used as I have gas but one gives whole tank and the other just a small amount if needed to top up during the day. Also what are your unit rates, the extra you pay on the normal rate for having econ 7 may outweigh any savings. Econ 7 works if you have say ten 3.5Kw storage heaters running overnight, not that they deliver all of that energy back as heat!!

Family of four, small detached house. Gas heating and hob. Electric lights, oven and other usual white goods.
I looked fairly carefully at my last 12mth utilities when I was shopping for a new fixed term deal in September.
We use 10kWhr a day in summer and 18kWhr a day in December & January
I blame a lump of that on the tumble dryer.
HTH.
Yea, that's about us as well. It's a bargain really.

I've worked out both prices every time I've changed supplier. It always worked out 45% day 55% night which just justified e7. I'm trying to work out why the daytime consumption is so high when we haven't changed anything - in fact we use more machines by night now than we used to.
Unit costs are 10p+ at night and 17p+ at day.

Fridges, esp. older ones use a lot of power. Are they running more than usual? Breakdown of insulation or loss of gas can cause this, and more door opening during the day could mean an increase in daily proportion of electricity used.
If your cooker has faulty controls, I suppose it also might be doing some funny things. I'd turn it off at the isolator and see what happens.
Duncan

It always worked out 45% day 55% night which just justified e7.
You could try reading the meters, set the immersion to come on during the day, run washing machine etc during the day. After a couple of days read the meters again. That should tell you if the meter tarifs are the wrong way round because there should be a massive difference between the two electricity usages.

How big is your aquarium. In winter my relative small one uses a fair amount of electricity at night when the heating goes off.

If your computers are Pc type with monitor and on all day these too will run up the bill.

I have now got into the habit of turning things off when not needed.

I had two Emerson heaters in the tank, one would just heat up the top section and the other the whole tank.

Another saving is in boiling the kettle. Only put in the amount of water you actually need.

When I had e7, many years ago I ran as much as I could at night. I lived on my own, so I can appreciate that it may not be possible to run things like the washing machine, or dishwasher at night if you have a family, but if you can, you will make savings. You may need to put them on a timer.

I've worked out both prices every time I've changed supplier. It always worked out 45% day 55% night which just justified e7. I'm trying to work out why the daytime consumption is so high when we haven't changed anything - in fact we use more machines by night now than we used to.
Unit costs are 10p+ at night and 17p+ at day.
That is so cheap these days! Our electricity jumped from 16p to 22p or thereabouts.
I looked at the cheap 5p a unit between 12:30 and 4:30 for PHEV charging, but that tariff pushed the daytime rate up much higher.

I am all electric, three storage heaters and hot water is currently costing me 32 units per night. Without the storage heaters I average 12 units per night. Oven kettle, microwave, TV and computers cost me an average 10 units per day. Following a very large bill caused by a failing immersion element I have been taking daily meter readings for the past 6 months.
Reading your post there should be no way that your day time electric should cost so high.
My meter has three readings. 1 = day, 2 = night 3 is a total.
My meter has a junction box under that has two sets of wires going in (day and night). It makes a loud click when the power switches over.
Do you have a second emersion higher up in your tank? This will he running 24/7 if left switched on. A neighbour of mine left their on and had a very very large bill one quarter.

Elmo

Last edited:
I monitor our electric meter most day now after a previous bill was high due to a faulty element. Will use about 8-10 units during the winter and 4-5 during the summer. We have a log burner and a Stanley oil fired range with a dolly above to dry washing. Have been all electric in previous house and found it very expensive

I used the dishwasher and the tumble drier yesterday, and the oven and lathe for an hour. Night time units - seven, day time - twenty one. The thing I can't get my head around why this has gone so much out of kilter - it obviously makes nonsense of an economy 7 tariff. It can stay as it is though til 8/22 when the fixed contract runs out. :)

I used the dishwasher and the tumble drier yesterday, and the oven and lathe for an hour. Night time units - seven, day time - twenty one. The thing I can't get my head around why this has gone so much out of kilter - it obviously makes nonsense of an economy 7 tariff. It can stay as it is though til 8/22 when the fixed contract runs out. :)
Run your tumble dryer at night

Electricity Cost Calculator
This may help to work out the individual items electric usage.

As many have said during this period of high energy costs, turning down your heating thermostats can save a lot on the bill. I have mine at 19c and I wear an extra jumper.

As an example, I have a 100 watt heater in the aquarium which in winter is on two thirds of the time (tropical fish). Probably about 16 hours, meaning 1.6kw over 24 hours.

Last edited:
Back