Weekend haul

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheffield Tony

Ghost of the disenchanted
Reaction score
I never get to do one of those boot fair haul posts normally, because the boot fairs round us are a bit hopeless for tools (but great for broken plastic kids toys, etc :roll:). Still, last weekend I was at the Bodger's ball, and there was a Tools for Self reliance stall, and another second hand miscellany stall, as well as some stalls by new tool sellers (The Woodsmiths' store, Woodland craft supplies). A few things slipped into my car:

bbtools.jpg

The toothed plane iron by Thos. Ibbotson was at the bottom of a box full of double irons from wooden jack planes, all priced at £1. I just need to make a plane to fit it now. I already have an Eclipse #77 saw set, but the coppery coloured one caught my eye in a box of unloved things on the floor at the tat stall - it has a thin pin, 1.4mm versus the 2.3mm of the other one in the box, and the one I had already. Hopefully better for small backsaws. The stallkeeper offered me both for £1, couldn't refuse.

The anvil is a Record 11kg "anvil shaped object" as some call them - not much use for any serious work, but probably OK in combination with a Mapp gas torch for shaping the end of turning hook tools etc. A bit pricey at £20, but TFSR is a good cause.

The axe is new; it is one of those Stubai Austrian roofer's axes, which is about the closest thing to a side axe as can be had new for £40. It came as you can see them on the web, with a red painted handle and a vivid blue head. Last night I discovered a couple of things: (a) Stubai paint can be scrubbed off fairly easily with a nylon scourer and isopropyl alcohol; and (b) putting on gloves first is a good idea if you don't want to look like a smurf for a day or two. It also needs a bit of a kiss from the grinder, as supplied it has rather a big back bevel, and the edge protector is rather optimistic as it was completely blunt. The nail puller at the back of the head is probably good for Austrian roofers, but no use in green woodwork, so I've sawn it off. Still a work in progress.

So, £62 in total - but ... to offset against that, I entered my bowsaw in the toolmaking category of the craft competition, and won first prize of £30. Not a bad weekend.

Attachments

• bbtools.jpg
    bbtools.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 108
Yes, I am not expecting great things of the "anvil". Until now I have been using an old 56lb cast iron weight !

Snap! I have one of those as well.
Anvils are expensive and heavy!

Pete

I have a small anvil like yours. Mine sit beside one of my mechanics vices removing the temptation to use the vice as an anvil :)

Back