Weekend Booty

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt
Nice haul, makesure you go through those moulders carefully. Look out for rare makers marks.
My old 96 from a car boot has stood me in geat stead now for 10 years or more, though it is finally getting a bit rickety. Guess I'll have to put it in a car boot....... :) :)
Regards
Martin

rare makers marks

Such as? Don't know a great deal about wooden planes. There are a couple of marples/hibernia, Curries glasgow, atkin and son, greenslade (i think) etc.

Matt.

Matt
Only recently started exploring this facinating area myself and it has already paid some handsome dividends. Try and get a copy of British Planemakers from 1700 by Goodman ( not easy to find, apparently 3rd ed is best and most comprehensive, mine is 2nd ed). This lists a wealth of info and gives samples of the makers marks and an indication of their rarity.
For instance, I can't find any reference to Curries of Glasgow (are you sure its not a Ford Dealership/ :) ), so this might be worth following up. Some makers are worth quite a bit as collectors like to have sets by the same guy etc
I just got a hollow by Gabriel in amongst a lot I bought at Ledbury which I hope will pay for the lot by itself. Fingers crossed.
Alf seems tohave forgotten more about this than I will probably ever learn and has been a great help.
Regards
Martin

If the MOF96 works, an especially good haul

Yeah, works a treat, sounds sweet. means i can leave my el cheepo router under the table, and us the Elu for free hand work. Love the fine adjusters and fences with it. Should make life a bit easier.

Matt.

Try and get a copy of British Planemakers from 1700 by Goodman ( not easy to find, apparently 3rd ed is best and most comprehensive

Been doing a bit of googling for this book, but no luck yet. Looks interesting tho.

Matt.

22 wooden moulding planes £48

Now there's a "few" happy hours cleaning, sharpening and tuning!

I can't find the reference, but IIRC one of my old books says (on sharpening moulding plane irons) that you basically do it (carefully!) with slips, but when it gets too bad (which by implication is inevitable) you send the plane back to the makers to have the blade reground back to the correct shape.

Not an option today, of course. Bit like saw sharpening.

BugBear

Back