WEEDY DRIVE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, My drive is overgrown with weeds and I don't know the best way to get rid of them. The surface is rather old tarmac, eroded in places but we can't afford to resurface at the moment.
Any information or suggestions will be gratefully received
Alan

jaymar":2ec21h2g said:
Hi all, My drive is overgrown with weeds and I don't know the best way to get rid of them. The surface is rather old tarmac, eroded in places but we can't afford to resurface at the moment.
Any information or suggestions will be gratefully received
Alan

Roundup - but you need to do it soon as best when actively growing.

If you know any landscapers or farmers you can get hold of the real McCoy which is a lot stronger than the watered down stuff you buy in the shops (Can't buy it yourself without a "spayers licence" and need to be careful with it. i.e. calm conditions, PPE. keep away from kids and pets etc)

If you don't mind using poisons there a variety of chemicals on the market - but I'd not use it on my land. If you can't face digging 'em out by hand get a weed wand flame gun. You only need to singe them and they'll die off in a week or so.

I'm probably going to get shot to bits for this but cellulose thinners in a spray gun sprayed on the offending weeds kills them DEAD!

I found this out by accident when cleaning my spray gun and spraying some cellulose thinners through after a session of lacquering. Sprayed it on some hogweed and thistles outside the door of the workshop and they were brown and dead in a couple of hours!

Environment friendly - definately not - but it kills the weeds!

theartfulbodger":2fijoets said:
Park an old Land Rover over the offending weeds 8)

My other trick! - We've got to oil droppers standing on our drive! :mrgreen:

Lets all kill aquatic life..............
Round up and other chemicals are not an appropriate technology to be using. I'd either burn the weeds or apply a sheet over the weeds to cut the sun light out

Dodge":qnqtkagp said:
theartfulbodger":qnqtkagp said:
Park an old Land Rover over the offending weeds 8)

My other trick! - We've got to oil droppers standing on our drive! :mrgreen:

hehehhee

Although I'm thinking about seeding some "weeds" on my gravel, the LR tyres keep picking stones up and chucking them all over the road...

Anyone suggest a useful plant? (I'm not a member of any gardening forums :mrgreen: )

LuptonM":1qz15v3u said:
Round up and other chemicals are not an appropriate technology to be using. I'd either burn the weeds or apply a sheet over the weeds to cut the sun light out

At risk of being shot down....I don't see how spraying weeds on a tarmac drive will "kill all equatic life"!

Roundup and similar chemicals dry very quickly on the leaves of green plants and is carried into the root system. If used correctly when rain is not imminent, it is safe enough though of course if anyone is stupid enough to spray in to ponds etc. then they aren't capable of reading instructions.

My drive is large and gravel which readily grows weeds. I have a parafin burning wand, albeit a small slim model and it does work - but not as effective as the weedkiller which I only need to do twice a year.

Can hardly put a sheet on a driveway I think and have to be careful burning tarmac as well.

Bob

LuptonM":1sv4lrb0 said:

When it's part of your living customers want to see results and see them quick, as far as I'm aware burning weeds will only kill what you see above ground and will leave the roots active to grow again and quite frankly applying a sheet is not always practical and an eyesore.

Steve

Use an old spray bottle and keep hitting them with salt water.

That's all I do..
They give up after a while; although sometimes the dandelions ask for vinegar! :wink:

John :D

Back