Wedding goblets. For critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Out of the blue I have been asked to make a pair of goblets for a celtic wedding by someone who stumbled on my website by accident

I have made two different goblets and whichever one they choose I'll make a duplicate (that's the hard part) Traditional captive rings on both

This is made from the prickly pear and is 6 1/2" tall, bowl is 3 1/2" dia x 2 1/4" deep. Outside is finished with friction polish to a high gloss and inside with copious layers of melamine laquer as they want to drink toasts in mead from them.

This one is in cherry, 7" tall with a 3" dia. 2 1'2" deep bowl. Same finish

Comments and critique welcome

Wow, Pete, those are really something. Of the two, I like the prickly pear one slightly better, as it has thinner stem, but without it being silly-thin. But reckon the recipient would be thrilled with either.

Hope you get a share of the mead :D

Hi Bodrighy,
2 very nice pieces there.
My personal favourite is the cherry one, I find the stem more pleasing to the eye, and the captive rings appear smaller and thus less intrusive (I'm not sure that is the correct word, but you know what I mean).
As always, however, it is only my opinion, and as I said before, 2 excellent goblets.
I'm sure the recipients will be over the moon.

Malc :D

Those are a couple of crackers Pete :D
The PP looks to have turned and finished nicely.
Both look sturdy and i'd be happy with either :D
I would like to have seen the foot on the Cherry one just a tad wider.
How did you apply the Melamine finish.Was it sprayed on :?:

I prefer the PP one for overall form, but it's marginal, I prefer the tighter top bead on the cherry but the slimmer stem of the PP, pity they don't want a His and Hers pair.

Job Done!!

Either get my vote for style and finish.

Very nice.

I'd be well happy with either, but the pear one just pips it for me. I love the high gloss finish with that wood too.
I wondering where the hell to source some prickly pear from now!

DaveL - You don't need a specific captive ring tool to turn them, just undercut the rings to free them. I think the captive ring tools are more for rapid reproducing of a set diameter, although i've never used one.

stunners pete, really brilliant., now if i could go to my cabin and produce stuff like that every time i would be a very happy chappie.. :lol:

I prefer the PP one as it just seems to have a nicer shape and the stem is thinner - it looks something closer to a glass than a metal tankard type. However I'd echo the Shark's comment about the rings - on the PP they sort of lie all over the base and look somehow untidy where as the smaller ones on the cherry are more of a detail.

Fantastic goblets the pair of them - they'll be a lucky couple :)

Miles

Both very nice Pete :D . Hard to choose which one I like best as they both have great qualities 8) The PP came up well. I do like the shape of the stem on the cherry one, it suits the overall style perfectly and I prefer the larger rings on the PP one as well as the colour.
Really good work though with both and not a hole or bark inclusion in sight :lol: :lol:

Good luck making the matching one for the goblet they pick, I guess you can use the other one for a mead session of your own :lol:

JT

I can't go against the tide - the pear is my favourite as well - as I read the start of the thread I thought one of each would be good - similar to OPJ comment re his and hers.

Hi Pete,

Of the 2 I think I prefer the P/Pear. If I were to be SUPER critical, I think the stem is a little to short for the goblet but is really lovely all the same.

The Cherry one is also really good, I would just prefer a slightly slimmer stem and lighter looking foot (it somehow looks a bit heavy)

As for the rings, I can't decide which I prefer...

As I said, I'm being super critical, I'm sure the happy couple will love them!! They really are a lovely (prickly) pair :wink:

Cheers,

Richard

Pete, I would go for the cherry one the stem looks to me as a celtic piecee should look, Strong and sturdy. The PP looks good too,but I think the cherry is more in tune with the time when they would have been useing wooden goblets. Just my way of seeing it. But I would be happy with either. REgards Boysie.

Thanks for all the comments.

I try to make the feet on goblets 2/3rd's the dia. of the bowl. Works most of the time :lol:

The stems were left thicker than I'd normally do them as they are going to be used and probably left lying around a bit so I was wary of them being fragile.

My biggest problem with goblets is seeing them as they will look when standing up. Horizontal on the lathe they always look different. Overall I am quite pleased with them but the critiques mentioned are all valid. Now I have the hard part of duplicating them. Now that takes a skill that I hope I have #-o

Wish me luck. Hopefully I will eb able to post a pair that actually look the same :lol:

Pete

I'll also vote prickly pear,but that's because of the colour and shine,rather than the style.
And they are both excellent,I would be very happy to have either :D

Andrew

Cherry one gets my vote, but i love them both.

The recipients will cherish either im sure.

Loz

I'm with Eugine on this .
The Cherry does it for me because of the Celtic association.
But both are really nice. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

John. B

Back