Website revamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charley":xqnj0lij said:
Just one thing, If you click on a link it turns to the default purple colour. I personally think it would look better if you changed the 'visited' link colour to #1A66C5 or even a darker blue.
How about that? All the blues I tried just didn't look right to me, and the one you suggested was the one for the unvisited links :( The other option is to make the unvisted ones green, and the visited the blue... :? And if that's no good I'm going to need a list of colours please...

edit: I've just spotted a broken link.. You've missed the .co.uk out of your email link at the bottom of the Introduction.
Got it - thanks. Urgh, I've done it with all the contact ones in the menu too! Hell. :(

PS: Thanks for the mention :D
Thanks for the web space :D

Cheers, Alf

How about that? All the blues I tried just didn't look right to me, and the one you suggested was the one for the unvisited links The other option is to make the unvisted ones green, and the visited the blue... And if that's no good I'm going to need a list of colours please...

Yes thats much better IMO. I suggested '#1A66C5' as on most the sites I do now I use the same colour for both the links and visited links.

Charley":17ekfteq said:
Yes thats much better IMO. I suggested '#1A66C5' as on most the sites I do now I use the same colour for both the links and visited links.
But how d'you know where you've been? :( Heck, I need the trail of breadcrumbs myself... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Great site, especially liked the about me section

echo the comments on backing up after 10 years in the isp industry and countless horror stories from customers my site has just reverted to a circa 1998 version with no backup whatsoever :cry:

But how d'you know where you've been? Heck, I need the trail of breadcrumbs myself...

Well I try my best to confuse the visitors :p :lol: The past few websites I've done haven't had a lot of links in the content so it didn’t matter that much.

UKTony":hrrzci89 said:
echo the comments on backing up after 10 years in the isp industry and countless horror stories from customers my site has just reverted to a circa 1998 version with no backup whatsoever :cry:

Oh yes, make sure you have the master copy on the HD. With a backup of any databases,etc.

Alf, FYI The server makes off-site backups of all accounts each morning.. Although you must still keep a recent backup on your HD in case our backups fail one morning.

Thanks, Chas. A puzzlement (to me anyway) - the code numbers seem to be a different format than the ones in my code (as provided by the software). What's going on there then? :? I'm dabbling in waters that are starting to get over my knees now, so speak slowly... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Suffering from back-up anxiety - thanks, chaps... :p

Alf":qvqu1eb4 said:
Thanks, Chas. A puzzlement (to me anyway) - the code numbers seem to be a different format than the ones in my code (as provided by the software). What's going on there then? :?

No different.

On your index page for instance in your htm code you have a background colour of: bgcolor="#ffffff" (white) or FFFFFF

For some of your other colours, they are defined in the templates you are calling, I need time to search the coding for those to understand what your software is doing.

Alf":qvqu1eb4 said:
I'm dabbling in waters that are starting to get over my knees now, so speak slowly... :roll:

A status that I am likely to get into very quickly.

Edit: If you want to had a mouse Roll-Over effect to your menu then try adding something like:

<style fprolloverstyle>A:hover {color: red; font-weight: bold}
</style>

to your html page code. Colour font etc. are of your choosing.

see the effect here on my old site:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chas.jones/interest.htm
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chas.jones/LButtons.htm

the background colour changes for visited pages on the interests page is burried somewhere in the .css sheet reference.

Alf,

The link to BugBear's page from your blog is broken - too many https, I think

~Esp

Alf":25gdo4nm said:
If anyone has time to kill and fancies looking for broken links and other joys, feel free to point your browser at Cornish Workshop and do your worst.

Hi Alf - nice site & nice to see the face behind the great ALF posts.

I ran your site through my link checker program & couldnt find any broken internal links at all (which is more than I can say for my last employers "web designers"). The only bad external links were those already mentioned - the missing tooltrip.com PDFs & stanleytoolcollector.com (which looks like it either has a temporary DNS problem or else the whole sites been taken down completely).

One possible unintentional link is the 'Back' link on the Lewin Adverts page - it goes to boatanchorshrine.html rather than back to combinationplanes.html from whence it came.

I didn't include the /album directory in the link check (although I tried) as it seems to be very heavily cross-linked & I didnt want to stuff your server with thousands of accesses or skew your 'most viewed' stats etc. As the links are generated programmatically by Coppermine I wouldnt expect there to be any problems there anyway.

Hope this helps
Richard

Welcome to the forum, Richard.

Thanks very much, I forgot all about that Lewin link. I'm sorting it out as I type. Tsk, it's like trying to think you way through a plate of spaghetti this link business. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

waterhead37":yxprz5kv said:
Do tell, what is your avatar? It looks a bit like a snowplough at work.

Close - but no cigar (well a small one maybe) - its actually meant to be yours truly piloting a small snowblower along the drive - heres a similar pic somewhat bigger & more in context.
rt_snow2.jpg

Its not VERY woodwork related (well, not at all really :shock: ) but I havent started any woodworking in earnest yet (apart from some MDF stuff a few years ago) - I'm trying to get a couple of pre-fab wooden stables insulated & boarded out at the moment to use as workshop, before getting some heat in there & then some decent tools and then some hardwood and then .... all in good time :cry:

Richard

Welcome to UKW Richard :)

Your snowy scene beats mine :shock: I think a hairdryer would of cleared our drive way...

Charley":1wryxk4g said:
Welcome to UKW Richard :)

Your snowy scene beats mine :shock: I think a hairdryer would of cleared our drive way...

Hi & thank you & everyone else for the welcome - this is quite the friendliest forum I've ever lurked in (& now actually started to take part in).

Its not actually been that much snow for this part of Aberdeenshire - this time last year we'd have needed a nuclear-powered hair dryer to clear the drive/track :roll:

rt_snow3.jpg

rt_snow4.jpg

If only our 2 collies had half a dozen friends I could build myself a sleigh to get around with. :D

Richard

Back