web trouble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine informed me on the telephone that my web site was a mess. http://homepages.tesco.net/john.jt
Word wrap has not worked on the jig details page also various pictures on the other pages are overwriting .
My web browser shews the details OK. Do some browsers playup and others work correctly?

Unfortunately yes. And you have some fancy tags which may not be recognised by all browsers. A simple solution would be to edit the offending pages in a text editor and put the text inside a simple <p></p>
Cheers
Gidon

Well it looks OK for me, and it's nice to see some content appearing in, and some good pictures! Nice!

Adam

Dev,

Nowt wrong at my end. Looks good with no overwriting or other things. Sure, it all takes time to build the site and it might be a steep learning curve but keep at it.

Rgds

Noel

PS, maybe update your profile with your URL

devonwoody":iusipeze said:
A friend of mine informed me on the telephone that my web site was a mess. http://homepages.tesco.net/john.jt
Word wrap has not worked on the jig details page also various pictures on the other pages are overwriting .
My web browser shews the details OK. Do some browsers playup and others work correctly?

Devonwoody,

You can try downloading a few other web browsers to your machine, and viewing the webpages as they are on your harddrive, if you want to see how they look on other browsers.

There is also loads of information if you need help by typing in goggle.com something like "how to write HTML" or "building a website" etc.

I think the site looks good, (and besides, the only people not using Microsoft Internet Explorer should jolly well get it downloaded and learn how a good browser should be.... ) would be running for the bunker but it's probably a bit warm to hide in their today!

Adam

Thanks all, I thought it was reading OK> I will tell my friend up in Leicester to get some decent software or update is virus checker

Devon,
Looks OK to me - even in Firefox. Your piccies are still much bigger than they need to be for acceptable quality at the size you are making them but that only makes them slow to load, they look OK.

Sorry Devon but it was a bit of a mess in places for me.
It looks like it is due to the HTML positioning stuff you have in there. Try changing you monitor's resolution down a bit and see what it looks like then.
I'm in work and only get a piddling little monitor so it could be due to that as I'm using IE like most others here.

My web software as previously mentioned is the Serif page plus 9 (around £20) and also reasonably easy to learn and there is very good free technical support (0845 number).
This program also supports leaflet, flyers and brochure publication, which can be converted to a web page at the touch of a (whatever its called???)

Hi Devon

Pageplus 9 is really a desktop publishing program that is aimed at producing magazines, leaflets and fliers (how are these different to web pages????) that I love and use regualrly - I started with version 3 way-back-when :)

I've never considered using it to produce websites though as my work supplies web design software

Hi Tony,

Go to file, in the drop down there is an item which converts the subject you have created into a web page , also under file, go to Publish to web, and voila.

Devon,

Many programs let you save pages as web pages including Microsoft Word. You can also use the Explorer file manager to publish your web pages. However, this is all rather long winded and clumsy compared with a product like Frontpage or Dreamweaver that are different in two principal ways:-

1. They have vastly greater capability in the web page creation area in terms of what they can do and the ease of doing it.

2. They can help you manage your site and once your site grows to many pages, you really start to need site management capabilities to keep track of it.

If you only have a few simple pages then these are not important considerations.

Hi Chris

Page plus 9 is quite sophisticated You can start with a blank sheet and produce good layout design. Or, use a wizard with web layout already created and then amendable (is that the correct word?)
So if a publication creation software produces good design and then allows web creation, we have the best of both worlds?

I've got a signature. Hows this:-

Good boys go to heaven, bad boys go everywhere.

devonwoody":hde8ei3n said:
So if a publication creation software produces good design and then allows web creation, we have the best of both worlds?

Not quite.
A layout on a fixed sized piece of paper can be very different to transfering that to a browser window that could be running on a machine with different monitor resolutions, different size monitor, or even be in a small window 'cos the user doesn't want the boss to see what he's doing. Then you may find that other things get in the way such as the user having turned off pictures, the computer may not have the font you specify installed, it may even be a text only browser. Any of these would mess up a layout that positions elements in absolute positions on the screen.

Hi Barry,
We have come back to your earier reply on this thread. You couldn't read my web page. Whereas nobody else reported the problem, are you using something obscure?
However I shall most probably get round to using front page one day when I work out the instructions. Usual problem finding the time and learning another program.

Back