Web page creation - NVU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been surfing around looking for a new web page authoring tool for use on the mac and was recommended NVU. It is open source and comes complete with ftp facility. It seems to be available for most operating systems including OSX and a brief test on the PC at work has found it very simple to use.

It seems very straight forward to use for simple text and graphics which is all I can cope with at present. WYSIWYG and html if required.

There is an active forum which seems to have quite a large user base as well.

Does anyone here use it?

website - http://nvu.com/index.html

Andy

Andy,

I use it from time to time as each new iteration comes out and I think it is very good. However, I tend to use Dreamweaver mostly, just because I am familiar with it basically. For my needs either does a great job.

Chris,
having just checked the price of Dreamweaver I think I will stick with NVU for now :lol:
I could buy a carving clamp for that!

Andy

I use dreamweaver mainly when i am being too lazy to write the raw code.

You can't go far wrong with dreamweaver.. and it's built for the mac

My fav tool is notepad although you can't beat dreamweaver for doing the bulk of the work. It is a bit pricey, luckily I got my version from a friend :)

TopStyle is a favourite in the industry and the free Lite version is none too shabby. It's main strength is CSS; however, it's great for X/HTML and scripting too.

I tend to use a mix of Homesite, Dreamweaver, and TopStyle - depending on what I am actually doing.

(PS: TopStyle is available from Bradsoft).

Charley":13zubsmq said:
My fav tool is notepad

In other words you do it all in html? :shock:

I need the design mode wysiwyg approach to creating a webpage.

NVU is also free and my initial experiments have been good so I will stick with it for now.

thanks

Andy

dedee":30gmsdjn said:
Charley":30gmsdjn said:
My fav tool is notepad

In other words you do it all in html? :shock:
S'okay - if you have a working knowledge of Esperanto... :roll: :lol: Once I have the bare bones, I edit and generally tweak all my web pages in Notepad too; makes for cleaner code than some web page creators so I understand. And frankly, if I can do it (about a dozen computer lessons under my belt, mainly spent playing Frogger on a BBC Micro...) then anyone can. There are lots of excellent crib sheets and so forth out there on't web.

Oh dear. It's just dawned on me I'm taking the neanderthal approach to web page design, aren't I? Oh deary, deary me...

Cheers, Alf

I struggle with english, struggle even more with francais & the thought of learning yet another language to create a wbsite when I can just drag, drop, copy, paste, etc fills me with dread :lol:

Perhaps when I have nothing else to do.......

Andy

dedee":byici0br said:
I struggle with english, struggle even more with francais & the thought of learning yet another language to create a wbsite when I can just drag, drop, copy, paste, etc fills me with dread :lol:
Heck, I'm hopeless with languages. It's more like, erm, maths I suppose. You just need to show your workings. :lol:

Mind you, you can see why my site updates are so few and far between... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

At least you guys have got sites! I have enough difficulties getting my posts to include pictures or quotations :roll: :sign3: .

Anyone want to volunteer to knock up a website for me? :whistle:

Gill

Gill":2cea4aoj said:
Anyone want to volunteer to knock up a website for me? :whistle:

Mmmmm... what you got in mind?

I'm not averse to the odd freebie if it's a straightforward requirement and you bear with me timewise. All helps to further one's portfolio...

Gill,
It is really not that difficult and there are plenty of folks here with better skills than I to help you out.

NVU from www.nvu.com is free and you do not need html skills to use it but you will need webspace from your ISP. If you do not have webspace then you can use NVU to create the pages then upload them onto a free webspace such as geocities. I guess broadband would make life easier too.

My own website (currently on geocities but is being moved) is just a number of linked pages each have just simple tables containing just photos and text.

Give it a go it really is quite fun and once the hard work of setting it up is done maintaining it is easy. I'd be happy to help if you get stuck

Andy

I find Frontpage to be the easiest to use (loang with some HTML and Javascript coding). I have Frontpage 2003 and DreamWeaver MX freely avaialble at workk but find Dreamweaver difficult to use.

To date, I have created just over a dozen websites for comanies and our departemnt and consistently find Frontpage (from 95 version to 2003) to be much easier to use - despite it's reputation for 'bloating' the site a little and the need for frontpage extensions on the server to sue all the celver stuff

To be honest, I find most software that is ported (or appears to be) from the Mac difficult to use with less than intuitive interfaces

For the record I use Strata 3D CX and Photoshop, both of which come form Mac originally - and i am counting the days until these superb packages are given a true 'Windows interface' for users of said machines

Another good app for all you mac users is 'TextMate'. I do web-design for a living, and have probably used most authoring and text-editing programs that are available, and have come to use this almost exclusively.

Its not a wysiwig though, so non-coders have a slightly higher learning-curve. But it has some excellent features, supports many languages, including Ruby, PHP etc. And is very fast.

I used to use the code-view of dreamweaver mostly, this was primarily because of its in-built in ftp facility, and quick file-management. But its a bit quirky and slow, and TextMate for me is a lot more productive.

P.S Dreamweaver was NOT designed for the mac, it has nearly always been a priority of Macromedia to produce their software for the PC first, and Mac second, hence the relatively poor performance of both dreamweaver and flash on the mac.

I have a dual 2.0ghz PowerMac which i'll be selling soon Along with a 19" TFT flatscreen, i'm 'downgrading' to a Powerbook (need the portability), so if anyones interested, just PM Me. It will be going on ebay in a couple of weeks, but thought i'd give anyone here the option first.

Back