web hosting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Major re-vamp plus message board underway. Any suggestions for web hosting? I'm getting p'd off with 123-reg and looking to change . "Siteground" came up in a review.

Siteground have been good. I switched my work to them a few years back and had no problems. Never had need to contact them for support so can't comment on that side of things I'm afraid.

+1 for Zen. When I have had the odd problem I have had fantastic support even when the problem was me! Not the cheapest but they always seem to make things easy.

I have used Freeola (freeola.net) for twenty years hosting three business websites. Excellent support based in the UK if you ever need it.

RogerS":2cppuinp said:
Why don't you like 123-reg ?
Not sure yet, just comparing and contrasting. They offer similar packages but with different pricing structures, which means different hosts may suit different people. Support is important and 123 were a bit feeble I thought.

support from zen is the best in the country, you should seriously consider them jacob, any problems and they'll have you covered, they've won awards for customer service.

Without wanting to sound like I'm not answering your question - it depends on the specifics of what you are wanting to do, i.e. the space and bandwidth you are looking to use. Also the grunt required. Usually what you are looking to build the site & forum with can sometimes give you an idea.

Dibs-h":27bqj2tt said:
Without wanting to sound like I'm not answering your question - it depends on the specifics of what you are wanting to do, i.e. the space and bandwidth you are looking to use. Also the grunt required. Usually what you are looking to build the site & forum with can sometimes give you an idea.

http://www.friendsofjeremycorbyn.co.uk ? So not much bandwidth required then :lol: Sorry, Jacob...couldn't resist. Merry Christmas.

Seriously, Zen tech support is superb.

Have had a look at the alternatives but probably sticking with 123-reg, better the devil you know etc.
Prices and services are quite difficult to compare; they all do the same thing but arranged with very different menus and pricing schemes. 123 doesn't get rave reviews but has been reliable so far (except for some bad support advice - a mistake I won't make again).
Am setting up a phpBB message board, not to compete with this one don't get excited, but more as a notebook / filing system but interactive with a chosen few "members" - non of this ukworkshop riff raff :lol: .
Looking at how to sell things myself, as alternative to ebay or Amazon reseller. Things made, mended, old tools, books, musical instruments. Jacob's junk shop.
Questions; can I sell stuff from my own site and ebay in parallel, or would it get too confusing. Is there a sales system which I could put on my own site which would do paypal etc AND also tick off stuff as sold so that two people wouldn't attempt to buy the same thing?

I like your idea, Jacob, of using the website to sell your stuff but I think you're trying to solve two 'problems' which will over-complicate things. By all means have a phpbb forum board but to add the ability to sell stuff, take payments etc seems debatable...when sites like eBay and etsy already are set-up. OK...you pay charges etc but how much in time and money is setting up your own system going to take? Let alone the daily ongoing site work.

And how are you going to 'drive' people to your website ?

RogerS":2vzghm81 said:
I like your idea, Jacob, of using the website to sell your stuff but I think you're trying to solve two 'problems' which will over-complicate things. By all means have a phpbb forum board but to add the ability to sell stuff, take payments etc seems debatable...when sites like eBay and etsy already are set-up. OK...you pay charges etc but how much in time and money is setting up your own system going to take? Let alone the daily ongoing site work.
You are probably right but there's a good reason for having all your stuff in one place, see below
And how are you going to 'drive' people to your website ?
More a case of attracting than driving. Google finds things. If there's a diversity of stuff on a site then you get a diversity of visitors. The idea is that e.g. an article about sharpening or something might lead to somebody to look further and end up buying a table, a bit of my wife's knitting, or point somebody else at the site. Nobody is interested in sharpening only, in spite of appearances! It's the High Street model - diversity in one place is good for butcher, baker and candle stick maker.

I dunno Jacob, I think if someones looking at an article about sharpening they might be looking to make their own table rather than buying one, no offense intended.

The truth is, 99% of the population will search for the thing they're looking for through eBay or Amazon. As you say, there must be some kind of way to link these together if you're selling something as I occasionally buy books and you'll see the book listed with the same seller on their website, eBay, Amazon, Abebooks and probably elsewhere, within an hour of purchase all the other listings are taken down. Is it a human doing it or some kind of computer program? I have no idea.

I've seen some people put in their eBay listings "Available cheaper direct from my website" which may be a good way to get traffic onto the site, if it's bought through eBay you can put a 10% or so mark-up to cover fees so you're quids in either way. There are plenty of small relatively unknown shops online and when I find a good one I bookmark it and check it from time to time.

The Jacob Fan Club sounds fun :wink:

Trevanion":8wzitfjv said:

I find the club hilarious, Jacob has given me the biggest laughs of this year, still laughing my nuts off at his classic predictions which were a couple of million light years out. Keep it up Jacob, you seem to have gone very quiet, are you still canvassing? :D :D

doctor Bob":bnsh8xgr said:
Trevanion":bnsh8xgr said:

I find the club hilarious, Jacob has given me the biggest laughs of this year, still laughing my nuts off at his classic predictions which were a couple of million light years out. Keep it up Jacob, you seem to have gone very quiet, are you still canvassing? :D :D
Club not my idea - I think Trevanion misread "Jacob's Junk Shop".
You need to get out more Bobbo, it's Christmas you know, it doesn't do to be a miserable sod at this time of year. Maybe its all those dismal kitchens getting you down, they all look like mortuaries to me! :lol: Where did you dig up the style? :roll:

Jacob":2r7k47vq said:
You need to get out more Bobbo, it's Christmas you know, it doesn't do to be a miserable sod at this time of year. Maybe its all those dismal kitchens getting you down, they all look like mortuaries to me! :lol: Where did you dig up the style? :roll:

Not quite sure why you have decided to be so malicious? I guessing you don't do christmas spirit.

As you know Jacob, I'm positively oozing happiness all the time, especially the last month, been positively delightful, may even last the next 10 years :lol: , your opinion of my kitchens is most welcome, some may say your being rude and obnoxious (maybe even twatish) as usual but not me, all opinions are welcome and taken on board and adapted too ........... you should try it.

Have a merry Christmas you old rogue :lol: :lol:

Where would you put the body?

pTy3KXJ.jpg

Thanks for letting me show off Jacob, don't get these sort of opportunities too often. I've gone the whole hog and put up links, have a look.

If you want you can look at my website here https://armstrongjordan.co.uk/

or my instagram account here
https://www.instagram.com/armstrongjordan_interiors/?hl=en

or facebook here

https://www.facebook.com/armstrongjordan.co.uk/

OJ1j51m.jpg

TaLNYng.jpg

geiSU5N.jpg

8kmZotw.jpg

0QAnlFT.jpg

JP9CC26.jpg

nK8e66W.jpg

3EMazuE.jpg

emh3yBe.jpg

RHxWx3B.jpg

I suppose you could keep a few bodies in this piece of furniture behind the glass doors.

Lz6UrEy.jpg

Lyecxkr.jpg

GToYpdc.jpg

Finally Jacob, you seem to like laying into me so here's a video of me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wihSGbxja4s
Maybe you can think of a few insults, I'd go for the nose, that's a good start.

Back