web hosting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the fridge, you could easily fit two and a half in one of those big double door ones from experience.

doctor Bob":jxeg8jxi said:
Where would you put the body?

pTy3KXJ.jpg
Dog is wondering what's in the drawers. :lol:

Drawers are full of Christmas spirit, I sprinkle it on people and then we are all nice to each other.....

Sprinkle sprinkle, uh oh, some has landed on you Jacob.

Jacob":157ndr7d said:
Looking at how to sell things myself, as alternative to ebay or Amazon reseller. Things made, mended, old tools, books, musical instruments. Jacob's junk shop.

If you go ahead with this, you are about to embark on a journey of many, many hours, (possibly hundreds/thousands), which IMHO, you will ultimately regret spending the time on. Sorry not to have better news, but experience and all that.

Merry Christmas to all on this board :D :ho2

@Bob - stunning as always, but what finish did you use on the puppy next to the lilac Aga? Very high gloss on both - is there a trick to it?

Flynnwood":3jdczljj said:
Jacob":3jdczljj said:
Looking at how to sell things myself, as alternative to ebay or Amazon reseller. Things made, mended, old tools, books, musical instruments. Jacob's junk shop.

If you go ahead with this, you are about to embark on a journey of many, many hours, (possibly hundreds/thousands), which IMHO, you will ultimately regret spending the time on. Sorry not to have better news, but experience and all that.

Interesting. Would you care to expand on that? What went wrong?
Posting for sale on a message board (like this one) is the work of minutes.

Bob that is awsome work you have done.

And no it's mot the spirit of Christmas making me say that.

I would be proud to own any of those.

Gary

Jacob":1jli8vd0 said:
Flynnwood":1jli8vd0 said:
Jacob":1jli8vd0 said:

Interesting. Would you care to expand on that? What went wrong?
Posting for sale on a message board (like this one) is the work of minutes.

I'll just post one link Jacob - which might give you an idea what you will be up against: https://moz.com/google-algorithm-change

Bye for now.

Well yes I know we are at the mercy of the system but the algorithms are more about defeating the algorithm cheats than anything else i.e. protecting the buyer. Keeping it simple is what they want, as far as I know.

One of the big hurdles selling online is postage. Just working with UK deliveries only you have 4 zones and different pricing for each.

Keeping you cart software updated is another.

Handling payments is another fun filled field. Do not, under any circumstances, store any payment details on your site. Hackers are busy little barstewards and you'd be shocked at how often sites get scanned for vulnerabilities. Google "SQL injection protection" and prepare to have your brain melted.

What do you do when (not if) something mysteriously stops working? You need some tech support and someone technical oftentimes to get the cogs whirring again. The latter ain't cheap if they're worth letting anywhere near your site.

That's not to say it's impossible, but I would advise identifying a great cart system (i.e. not cheap) as well as a great hosting provider. Think of it like buying a tool: you can buy cheap if you have the knowots to fix it up or you pay good money for something that works out of the box. This is maybe not the best example to give someone who knows how to fix up an old Stanley but hopefully causes a pause for thought.

As for my experience, I was The Technical Guy behind the UK and USA unicycle.com sites so I do have some experience in the field - all be it from almost 20 years ago. Selling the odd bit on a forum is minutes work but not every member of the general public is as nice as us lot!

doctor Bob":3eb6g3i9 said:
Drawers are full of Christmas spirit, I sprinkle it on people and then we are all nice to each other.....

Should have used ash Bob. I can send you some from the North East if you like, there's a massive heap of it from the huge bonfire of red flags. :wink:

Lons":1db3fhbw said:
doctor Bob":1db3fhbw said:

Should have used ash Bob. I can send you some from the North East if you like, there's a massive heap of it from the huge bonfire of red flags. :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Those kitchens just look on point ! I particularly like the rounded corner ones. The only thing that could trump it is a photo of Bobs dog looking festive next to one of them.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Just saw this
c2cf834b04f7f5e0a23d2f9551ad602c.jpg

Happy days !! Merry Christmas all !!

Nelsun":3dri179s said:
One of the big hurdles selling online is postage. Just working with UK deliveries only you have 4 zones and different pricing for each.

Keeping you cart software updated is another.

Handling payments is another fun filled field. Do not, under any circumstances, store any payment details on your site. Hackers are busy little barstewards and you'd be shocked at how often sites get scanned for vulnerabilities. Google "SQL injection protection" and prepare to have your brain melted.

What do you do when (not if) something mysteriously stops working? You need some tech support and someone technical oftentimes to get the cogs whirring again. The latter ain't cheap if they're worth letting anywhere near your site.

That's not to say it's impossible, but I would advise identifying a great cart system (i.e. not cheap) as well as a great hosting provider. Think of it like buying a tool: you can buy cheap if you have the knowots to fix it up or you pay good money for something that works out of the box. This is maybe not the best example to give someone who knows how to fix up an old Stanley but hopefully causes a pause for thought.

As for my experience, I was The Technical Guy behind the UK and USA unicycle.com sites so I do have some experience in the field - all be it from almost 20 years ago. Selling the odd bit on a forum is minutes work but not every member of the general public is as nice as us lot!
Yes and ebay/paypal do take care of a lot of detail, at a price. Maybe I should advertise on my site but as only purchasable via ebay, with links. Would that break ebay rules? I'll have a look.
I did actually sell quite a lot of stuff and also picked up work from my earlier site, without a problem. People just phoning or emailing and coming to an agreement, no on-line transaction at all except BACS. The rest as cheques or cash - all low tech and low risk.
PS looking at 123-reg's own cart system, probably more than I need. https://www.123-reg.co.uk/ecommerce/

Nelsun":2k2b8ejg said:

SQL Injection - I think the world has moved on tbh. Not that it technically can't happen but most systems\platforms, unless you are on a really old version - it's not something to get bogged down in.

Similarly with holding credit card nbrs on\in your own system - PCI compliance (which has been around for quite some time) - isn't fond of holding credit card nbrs. And most payment gateways & providers won't tolerate it. Not to say someone could or doesn't code one to hold them - but most off the shelf platforms (paid or open source) don't hold CC details locally and won't - unless you are dead set on it and alter it to do so.

Jacob - if you fancy giving it a go, do so. Yes there is a learning curve but what doesn't. Hosting isn't the great wild west it used to be - plenty of reputable firms (large & small) out there.

ColeyS1":2t72tspm said:
Those kitchens just look on point ! I particularly like the rounded corner ones. The only thing that could trump it is a photo of Bobs dog looking festive next to one of them.

best I can do ............. this is Billy from a few years ago, sadly not with us anymore.

LnocUCv.jpg

Dibs-h":15u21xe6 said:
Nelsun":15u21xe6 said:

SQL Injection - I think the world has moved on tbh. Not that it technically can't happen but most systems\platforms, unless you are on a really old version - it's not something to get bogged down in.

Similarly with holding credit card nbrs on\in your own system - PCI compliance (which has been around for quite some time) - isn't fond of holding credit card nbrs. And most payment gateways & providers won't tolerate it. Not to say someone could or doesn't code one to hold them - but most off the shelf platforms (paid or open source) don't hold CC details locally and won't - unless you are dead set on it and alter it to do so.

Jacob - if you fancy giving it a go, do so. Yes there is a learning curve but what doesn't. Hosting isn't the great wild west it used to be - plenty of reputable firms (large & small) out there.
Rightho! Getting put off!
Looks like I'm back to plan A which would be combined message board (phpBB) and website but all transactions by personal contact in the old fashioned way: cheque, cash, BACS, phone, email.
The big plusses of on-line automated sales are the instant transaction, possibly ill-judged after a drink or too, and the admin in the backroom. Admin less of an issue for a one man band, unless I was selling multiple low value items in which case it'd have to be ebay.
The website would be hand done html, the message board off-the-peg free phpBB.
Happy Christmas all. :deer

Flynnwood":158i6ojp said:
Jacob":158i6ojp said:
The website would be hand done html.
Happy Christmas all. :deer

You are about 15 years behind on this. Better ways to spend time.
Not if you know how to do it and also don't want a hideously complicated rubbish design or so called "content management system".
There's a lot to be said for keeping it simple. Even this forum was better before it was designed up a notch and lost some functions.
PS not hand done in the old "notepad" text way I use BBedit an html text editor which drops in the tags and does a host of other things. Can be worked up to any degree of complexity if required, but as a rule better not to.

Back